Associate
The motherboard on my Shuttle SN95G5 has died so im left with;
AMD 64 3500+
2x512MB Crosair 3200 XMS PRO XL
Connect3D ATI X800Pro
74GB WD Raptor
250GB WD
SB Audigy 2

I still want a small case but feel that i no longer want a shuttle. So far im looking at getting;
Silverstone Sugo SG01-evolution

FoxConn 6150K8MA-8EKRS - seems to get possitive comments here.

Tagan 430W Modular Silent PSU
I have heard someone say a modular PSU is perfect for the SG01 and someone say that you want to stay away from modular. can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Does it effect how it fits in? i read there is very little room between the PSU and the CD drive.

Heatsink - seems to be a hard choice to go with this case. It needs to be under 78mm in height to fit under the PSU. The SilverStone NT06 seems like it would fit the job but i can't work out if,
1) It is ment to be used with NO 120mm fan on when being used in the SG01?
2) the good thing about the NT06 is that it sits right under that PSU FAN so all the hot air gets taken straight out the exhaust. However from the looks of it the fan on top of the NT06 looks like it is blowing down so wouldnt this be fighting afainst the PSU fan??

Graphics Card - Seeing as i need to buy a motherboard it seems like a good time to make the move to a PCI-E card. Im thinking a 7900 GT would be about right to go with the rest of the build, What do you guys think? but dont have much of an idea which to go for? is there really that much differance between all the GT's as they seem to vary a lot in price. which has been getting good reviews?

any other problems or changes that people would make to the spec would be very helpful.

Dave

Associate
Can help you on the Modular PSU question, but not much else :)

id not recommend anything but, i had the same PSU as you are thinking, i had to mount the DVD drive in the bottom bay, but other than that it was perfect. There seriously is NO room for one with all the wires, makes things so much easier.

Modular psu all the way!

Associate
i have a Sugo very pleased with it.
1.go for modular psu the cables are more controlled,
2.the 7900gt is good choice.
3.i have just the bog standard cpu cooler.

i cam from sn25p and it about the same temps and noise level a good case :)

Associate
Modular psu's are very good(The combined depth of power supply and optical drive cannot exceed 355mm) The NT06 cooler only fits in the sugo with no Fan attached, it works well if u have a psu with a 120mm fan sucking the air out.Thermaltake Blue Orb is also a popular cooler for the sugo and the temps are pretty much the same as the nto6 :)

Just orderd my sugo evo , still not made up on what im gonna do for cpu cooling, tho i think ill end up going for the orb as im not to keen on all that hot air going through the psu :cool:

pics of the nto6 installed and more info

http://www.*******.com/index.php?/articles/show/782/1

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1047597&page=3&pp=20&highlight=nt06

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to built one like this one below for myself..(SLI motherboard)

fraginside1024e.jpg

Soldato
I have scott.holmes old SG-01 Evo (very well looked after btw) and the only changes I made was to reverse the fans so they all blow inwards. There is so much venting on this case that the hot air just bleeds out under positive pressure.

I'm using the Blue Orb with a P4 940 and the Abit LG-81 and it cools beautifully. The Blue Orb does not allow the use of the paddle fan, but the Golden Orb would. I may have to try that combo if I need to overclock this chip at all.

I have the Hiper Type R PSU and there are no problems with my setup (but I have a full house of 3 slot loading optical drives and a combo floppy/card reader in there so optical drive length is not an issue.

front.jpg

side.jpg

blueorb.jpg

All the IDE cables are necessary as the laptop optical drives all have to be master, so I have a PCI IDE card in there giving me 3 IDE master channels.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got it from the USA - I have another one (and slotloaders) if you're interested?

I don't know if you can see - but the upper one is a single slot-loader and a combo floppy/card reader in one housing. I use those a lot in SFF builds as you usually only get 1 5.25" slot and I like to use the 3.5" bay for a 2nd HDD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jay_t said:
These small factor setups look ace :) I think I'll make one just for the fun of it. :p

It's all fun and games until you realise you're hooked and you're seriously considering spending £200+ to do something that would cost £20 in a standard ATX case - just because you want to prove you can watercool a mini-ITX cased machine ;)

Back
Top Bottom