need a good webcam....

Soldato
ive been wanting a new webcam for a while (sick of using my cheapy one and my camcorder) which have major differences between but both have the draw backs ....... but ive read about these new "HD Live" webcams for msn live but wayyyyy out of my price range i was thinking of spending 20-25 tops on one mainly logitech because they work with skype but i wouldnt know which oe as they all look the same (the 20 quid ones) so i was woundering if any one could recomend one .......

Soldato
Pal of mine has a black logitech that detects movement and moves with you, i'm not sure of the model, but i can say the quality looked really nice, much better then the 3 we have here.

Soldato
I think it pays to check out what users say with various programs.

I have a relation that uses Paltalk (not keen) and the creative cams work well on that. Better than Logitech at least as she tried both.
Creative WebCam Live!

On the other hand, I see someone with a £5 ebay cam (+ huge postage) that was excellent for the money.
Had 6 LEDS that shone on you tho that helped no end (would drive some mad) but a good solution for dark rooms.

Soldato
I have the Creative WebCam Live, £30 from ocuk, does the job for me perfectly.

I have heard that the quality of the eye toy is outstanding for the money but Its quite dated now.

Caporegime
Eyetoy has to be one of the best out there and is less than £10. Skype isnt worth spending any money on, webcams in general arent worth spending money on because youll only be using it for talking to people and I havent seen any programs that dont use a tiny picture to accomodate for the 256/448Kbps upload speed your connection will have. If your looking to actually video something camcorders are the way to go.

Last edited:
Associate
so how would using eye toy work? im quite interested, i'd like to get a webcam to chat to my gf but id like to have something pretty smooth running. isnt eye toy for ps2?

p.s: would it work with a mac? as she has a mac
and does eyetoy actually have a microhpone?

Last edited:
Soldato
St00 said:
so how would using eye toy work? im quite interested, i'd like to get a webcam to chat to my gf but id like to have something pretty smooth running. isnt eye toy for ps2?

p.s: would it work with a mac? as she has a mac
and does eyetoy actually have a microhpone?
The eyetoy plugs into your ps2 just through a standard usb port, so with a registary change to a d-link vga webcam that there are guides for on the internet it gets it working, and yes it does have a built in microphone. :)

Associate
what about for my gf's ibook? will it work on that?
do you also know what i could use that is both compatible with apple and windows?

Associate
The Logitech Sphere web cam is exccellent workes great with Skype / MSN / Eyeball Chat. Is a 1.3 Mp camera, and generally very good camera.

The Phillips NC900 is another great camera, also at 1.3 Mp, also works with Skype / MSN / Eyeball Chat et al.

I have both of them, and as good as the Logitech is I prefer the small size of the Phillips.

Associate
I saw a video of a new logitech cam that can put objects on your face, for exmaple a pair of glasses that would look as if they were on you as you moved.

Associate
DustyMiller said:
The Logitech Sphere web cam is exccellent workes great with Skype / MSN / Eyeball Chat. Is a 1.3 Mp camera, and generally very good camera.

The Phillips NC900 is another great camera, also at 1.3 Mp, also works with Skype / MSN / Eyeball Chat et al.

I have both of them, and as good as the Logitech is I prefer the small size of the Phillips.
The Philips is an SPC 900NC AND can only do 30fps in video chat, it will do 60 fps in normal video IF the program supports it and the 1.3mp is for snapshots.
Low light is great as I use one in near darkness.

Back
Top Bottom