• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB (AGP) fan airflow opinion please

Associate
Hello, I just bought this gfx card from OcUk and was hoping that a fellow user with the same card as me could let me know if it's just me experiencing this or if it's the same deal for everybody. I already tried searching on Google for a solution, but no luck.

My point is, is it correct that my GeForce fan airflow should be SUCKING the air into the PC, rather than ejecting it? I was under the impression that the grille in the rear of the card was an exhaust, rather than an intake?? It is being sucked inside my case rather than ejecting the hotter air out. Surely it would be better if the hotter air inside was ejected out of the case??

I can see that air is being sucked inside by doing a quick test; a feather will "stick" to the outside of the grille and be held up against it while the PC is on. Switching the PC off and the feather falls to the floor. Besides, I can feel with my hands that no air is coming out.

To compare, looking at the ATI website, there are diagrams of arrows showing airflow of THEIR newest card being ejected OUT the back of their exhaust grille, but I can't find similar airflow diagrams of my new nvidia card, so am at a loss to which is supposed to be the right Nvidia airflow direction??

I just wouldn't mind knowing if my card is faulty or not, or if someone has fittted the polarity of the fan wrong at the factory and I could fix this myself. By the way, looking at the front of my card, the fan turns clockwise, and is sucking air away from the heatsink and into the case, rather than blowing air across the vanes and out the back. I thought that was the most effecient way of doing it? Or am I wrong??

Ok that's one thing, the other thing is that I can't change the fan speed with the included Expertool app on the CD, or indeed the 4.2 version downloaded from Gainwards website. What fan speed tool works for you, if any?!

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!!

Soldato
This uses a standard Artic Cooler doesnt it? If that's the case, it should be blowing air out the back. If its sucking, then somethings wrong.

Soldato
Yep, It 'Should' be extracting hot air out of the case.

If you hover your hand under the fan of the artic cooler its quite hard to gather wether the fan is sucking or blowing.
Play a few games or run a benchmark and feel where the Grill is at the back of the card and if you can feel hot air coming out then the cooler is doing its job.

Associate
Wow.....

Looks like the polarity is reversed on the fan or something. Isn't that how fans spin *counterclockwise* instead of Clockwise, if clockwise is the "normal" direction for a certain fan ?

Seems like either a fan problem (on the fan itself) or on the fan power connector or something...

You're not the first person who has had this problem here either ; someone else a month or two ago had the exact same problem.....

Associate
OP
Thanks for replying everyone! :)

Falkentyne, is there any way of finding out who this person is who had the same problem? I tried searching for "fan, airflow direction, geforce 7800" keywords on this forum but it isn't giving any hits.

I wonder how many others are out there who bought this card and they don't even KNOW their card fan is faulty?! :eek:

Thanks once again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom