New monitor

Associate
I'm looking for a new monitor so I can use my GFX card to its full capacity :) (See sig). Currently got a 17" CRT that won't do 75Hz at 1280x1024 so I stick with 1152x864 so i can have 75Hz.

I'm a rather avid gamer so a TFT with a low response time would be good.

EDIT: Don't worry too much about a budget ATM but I don't need a £600 screen :p Just one that does the job.

Associate
Ive just installed my acer 19" widescreen, after running a 17" normal aspect tft.

The difference in games is amazing, im gobsmacked :eek: if its gaming you do most of i'd certainly go widescreen

Associate
OP
I was under the impression that a fast response time was necessary for gaming. My mates got a TFT with a 2ms response time and that seems fairly nice.

Might have to ask for one for my brithday. Lil expensive :p

Associate
a fast response time is good certainly, but not vital for gaming. No tft with a response time of 8ms will ghost or blur at all.

Theres some good guides on tfts in this forum, they helped me a lot with my purchase :cool:

Man of Honour
NightmareXX said:
I was under the impression that a fast response time was necessary for gaming. My mates got a TFT with a 2ms response time and that seems fairly nice.

Might have to ask for one for my brithday. Lil expensive :p

be wary of trusting specs as a complete guide to a monitors performance. There are other things to consider here including panel technology, real performance, grey to grey responsiveness vs traditional response time measurements. Anyway, just be careful about believing that all that mattes is a low quoted response time.

If you have a fair budget then i'd suggest looking at the NEC LCD20WGX2. The real use responsiveness is rated as highly as even tha fastest 2ms TN Film panels like the Viewsonic VX922. Take a look at the info on it in the sticky, and also the massive thread by our very own igors which is very comprehensive. The NEC offers some excellent all round performance which is not something you will see from the "faster on paper" 2ms models. They are based on TN Film panel technology, whereas the NEC is based on AS-IPS technology. This offers much wider viewing angles, better colour depth, better black depth, and as said above, comparable responsiveness for gaming, even though the quoted response time isn't as high. It would be nice to have a larger screen with a higher res i think seeing as you have the budget. It would be a shame to settle for a smaller 19" model and to make do with the drawbacks of TN Film technology. Having said that, if you do want a £200 - £300 monitor instead, you can't go wrong with the VX922 for gaming and at a cheaper price :)

Back
Top Bottom