XP Pro 64 wont install

Associate
Hi guys trying yo do arepair install on my system but when the install gets to installing devices the progress bar gets 3/4 up then it just restarts. So i disconnected everything i did'nt thinking dodgy device Stll no joy. All i have connected is the usaul cpu, ram, graphics card, HDD, cd drive, keyboard.

Now i do get a blue just as it restarts but it diappers too quickly to read.

Any ideas guys

Associate
OP
Tried it with 1 ram stick, no difference still reboots at the same point

Im doing a repair install because i have been having issue's installing ATI Drivers and a few others things. So i thought i would do a repair install to see if that fixed the issues and now here i am

Soldato
What about F8 at boot, last good known configuration? (or even safe mode)

The prob you can have with repair install (not sure how this affects 64) is that it undoes all the security patches.

Associate
OP
yep i had tried them first to no avail so went with the repair option. Is there a program to get info of the HDD (NTFS) before i reformat and install fresh

Soldato
Wardy247 said:
yep i had tried them first to no avail so went with the repair option. Is there a program to get info of the HDD (NTFS) before i reformat and install fresh

I admit I have never done the below, but it seems a good idea. (taken from another post)

I burnt Knoppix to a disk and ran that and I can browse the HD in question, just not copy off it due to all my drives being NTFS.

Hmm gonna give me something to play with I guess :)

Soldato
What my post means is this.

You make a bootable Knoppix CD.
You boot to the CD as an OS. (operating system) This allows you to see your NTFS drive.

I'm not sure how you would copy stuff off unless you have a spare hard disc or Knoppix allows you to burn stuff to another CD drive providing you have one.

Bit more info from another post..

1) Put the hard disk in another machine as the "slave drive" and copy them from one machine to the other, then onto some form of removable media such as CD-R.

2) Use a boot disk such as knoppix or BartPE and then copy them off the machine to a pen drive, over the network or to a CD.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
not a bad idea, but found a way round it someone suggested using NTFSDOS and it works fine. I am now in the process of copy files from the HDD to a extrenal drive.

But thanks anyway

Back
Top Bottom