recommend me a run around

Suspended
Lo all,

Im currently looking for a run around while i get my other car sorted.

It needs to be as cheap as possible but i want something with a bit of power, size isnt really an issue and it should be easy to get parts for just in case something does go on it.

I have been looking at getting a 205 GTi, 1.9 or 1.6 but im unsure about just how good they are. Anyone any opinions on them and how much would i be looking at for a average spec/condition?

Any others to look at? I could probably spare upto £1500.

Man of Honour
The 205 GTi is a stunning car - an all time classic, but becuase of it's ever increasing age and rarity it isnt really a suitable choice for a simple 'run around'.

Suspended
OP
[TW]Fox said:
The 205 GTi is a stunning car - an all time classic, but becuase of it's ever increasing age and rarity it isnt really a suitable choice for a simple 'run around'.

With the 205 i was thinking of getting it as a run around while i get my Corrado sorted and then maybe stripping it down and turning it into a track car.

Associate
I can heartily recommend the 205 GTI, but a run around it is not. It's not the sort of thing you enjoy being stuck in traffic in. They all idle all over the place and they take a bit of clutch tickling to go slowly in.

Go fast around corners though, and you're in for a treat.

Suspended
OP
as a run around i will be mostly travelling 30 miles to work and then back along a very twisty B road. This will be at 5:30pm and 6:10am so the road is mostly empty. Maybe the odd little drive on a summers night around the local area, i wont be using it for great distances or anywhere with lots of traffic, thats when ill use the g/fs golf.

So what ever car i get it must have good acceleration and more importantly, handle very well.

Any suggestions other than a 205 GTi then?

Associate
Well balls to it get the 205 GTI.

edit: not a chance he'd get a mint mk1 Golf GTI for anywhere near 1500 quid. They go for twice that. Mk2s are cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom