• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are current Opteron 170 steppings any good?

Associate
Just ordered mine from OCUK, plus a DFI SLI Expert and an Arctic Freezer 64. I've done several searches but couldn't find any definite info- are the current 170s getting good clocks?

Associate
OP
Ah well, maybe there's hope! :)

I did a search for 0551 steppings here and around the web and the overall opinions seemed to be "Avoid". I guess it's all the luck of the draw though. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
easyrider said:
0551 UPMW here at 2.8ghz @ 1.36v! :D
Same mobo as you.

so not entirely sure what you mean

Im sure he means 0550 ^ , 0551's arent too clever, out of the 3 x 165 0551's I had I managed 2.755Ghz max.

Caporegime
Dr Jones said:
So basically buying a Opty 170 is like lottery? (If you wanna clock it to 2.8...)

What about opty 175?

well overclocking in general is a lottery.

but you have more chance getting 2.8ghz with an opty over a x2

no point in the 175 at all...

Man of Honour
Same as buying a 170 or a 165. The only difference is the multiplier. It is all luck of the draw but if you keep looking on the forums (i.e not just this one) you will get a fair idea of what steppings are coming out of which etailers. Also it is unwise to assume that because one person gets X.XX clocks from a stepping that you will be guaranteed the same. An online auction is a good place to search but be very carefull as its also used to get rid of poor clockers as well as genuine ones.

Man of Honour
TTBT - naked :cool:

Needs more vcore than you though for 2.8, 2.85 is the max I could get it stable even though it would boot and run 1mb superPI @ 3gig. The batch is 408L. Currently running at 2.6 with 1.225 vcore (stable).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom