Act of war: Anyone like it?

Soldato
Went through my old PC Zone demo disk collection last night and gave Act of War a try.

Looked really good IMO but I found it very hard to work out how to play it. It wasn't obvious how to build or upgrade things or even how to gain cash to build more units.

Quite dissapointed TBH.

What I do know is my GF has bought me Rise of Legends for my Bday tomorrow - Really like the demo :)

Soldato
Its a good game. :)

Resources always get me late on in the game as I can never keep a constant flow coming in.

Good fun game though, the campaign is the best bit of it.

Soldato
OP
Its a shame because it looked good. As it was a demo I played, I didn't have a manual but then I didn't really use a manual for say DOW or indeed RoL Demo and worked it out pretty easily.

Similar thing happened whilst playing Z:Steel Soldiers. From recommendations I bought a copy and for the life of me tried to like it but didn't really get into it.

Whats the feeling on C&C:Generals? Quite fancy a couple of RTS games - think I'm FPS'd out :)

Associate
C&C Generals is okay, pretty standard RTS fare these days, nothing that special. Different universe to the other C&C games. If you want it, I have copy on the MM.

Associate
Act of War is a good game, I liked it and I'm not much of a RTS fan after C&C Generals. I thought it was the kind of game you can't keep playing for hours, I had to play a hour or so and then play something else or take a break but you may feel differently about it.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
EddScott said:
Whats the feeling on C&C:Generals? Quite fancy a couple of RTS games - think I'm FPS'd out :)

let me put it this way, act of war is more of a C&C game than generals will ever be !!

Associate
XPE said:
let me put it this way, act of war is more of a C&C game than generals will ever be !!

Glad you think that. Act Of War is one of the games I have not got round to playing yet and I really like the C&C series.

Associate
I enjoyed it up untill the minute i got pestered by in-game videos every few minutes - that basically sums up the campaign mode. Seriously annoying when you just want to get on with it & you get interrupted. AI left a lot to be desired too but i guess it might be better online/skirmish.

Forgettable RTS i thought.

Soldato
EddScott said:

You'll be disappointed if you're expecting classic C&C action. It doesn't play or feel like a C&C game.

That said, it's a good game. With the Zero Hour expansion, it becomes (in my opinion) one of the best RTS games ever. It's fantastic to have 12 different sides that balance out (reasonably well - You'll need to innovate at some points e.g. infantry vs. toxins, but it just adds to the fun).

You can pick up the deluxe set for around £14.99 I think.

Back
Top Bottom