DELL 2407 Arrives at OcUK!!

Associate
Could someone post the dimension of the box the monitor comes in for me please.

If the size is resonable, I could have it delivered to me at work otherwise I'll have to take a day off :rolleyes:

I work Mon-Fri, and Sat delivery is too expensive :(

Cheers

Associate
igors said:
Baddass, that was very well written and extremely in-depth (including your new article to complement the story). It was about time that someone clarify such matters in directed, technical and "user friendly" way. I'm so tired of that banding hype, especially when panic attack is coming from the people who are not exactly up for the job for such statements. No offence to anyone here really, but my theory is that you have to observe->learn->test and repeat this cycle couple of times until public statement is made. People are simply firing up the colour gradient test patterns immediately after they receive the screen and at the same time they don't have a clue about the monitor capabilities (0 research), working modes, configuration, why is that happening (especially with the A01 revision) and how the picture perception is affected.

As I already mentioned in my previous post here, it's no news that banding side effect is present when picture processing engine is ON (monitor video profiles) and as long as you can select the "native" monitor mode (desktop in Dell case) you are just fine. It's only unclear for me why Dell didn't included the native profile at first place and with the first revision. Maybe their marketing strategy was that monitor have that "wow" factor out of the box and that is utterly wrong imho ... or simply TV features prevailed at the end. Who knows.

Important thing is that even if the banding is present in the colour test patterns (when using other non-native monitor modes), that *doesn't* neceserally means that final perception would be affected or distracted, especially when the screen is "noisy" (playing games, movies) and watched from the distance.

Did you ever tried to display the colour gradients from the PC on your LCD TV which has picture processing engine ? You would be surprised about the results ;)

I can understand what u mean... but even if i cant percieve any difference whilst using the monitor... for £760 i would expect it to be perfect even beyond what my eyes are capable of detecting. As a perfectionist myself, i demand the same from my electronics... even if it is completely pointless ;)

Soldato
Mang0 Tree said:
Could someone post the dimension of the box the monitor comes in for me please.

If the size is resonable, I could have it delivered to me at work otherwise I'll have to take a day off :rolleyes:

I work Mon-Fri, and Sat delivery is too expensive :(

Cheers

The box isnt that big actually... I expected it to be much bigger. I'll just get my trusty tape measure out for ya.............. and the dims are:

W: 65cm
H: 50cm
D: 26cm

My old ViewSonic VFB201 20.1" monitor had a bigger box I think :eek:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
That de-interlacing algorithm looks pretty nice, can you use it on a PC output that is "interlaced but over progressive" if you know what I mean?

e.g. showing an interlaced program from a TV card... the PC output is of course progressive scan but the picture within it is interlaced :confused: or something!

Either way, the de-interlacing in powerDVD etc. is rubbish and this looks pretty nice!

Associate
nam said:
Seems like Rev A02 are now avaliable in Aus/USA. Can anyone confirm if the batch OCUK have are A02 ?
Only if you tell me how :confused:
I got the factory menu up, but can't see anything that said A01 or A02?

Compared to the screenshot of the factory menu on tftcentral, mine is V1B15 firmware and LTM240L2 pannel... same firmware as that screenshot but a different pannel? Can anybody relate this to whether my screen is A01 or A02 or whatever please?

Edit: Doh! Just read a bit further on tftcentral and realised that it's on the barcode... Overclockers are shipping A01 sorry people :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
keogh said:
Look at the sticker on the back of your screen (lower left) it will say REV A01 or A02 etc.

Mines a A01 :) didnt get mine from ocuk though.

Yeah, I realised... should have held off about 10 seconds before posting and I could have just told you A01 sorry people.

Man of Honour
Another_Mook said:
Yeah, I realised... should have held off about 10 seconds before posting and I could have just told you A01 sorry people.

so you're a prood owner of the 2407WFP from OcUK? one of the first i belive. I'd really like to hear your opinions on the screen if you'd be kind enough to put it through a few tests. You could perhaps use the review template from the sticky as im sure many people would love to hear how you find it. Don't forget some pictures too :)

Associate
Baddass said:
so you're a prood owner of the 2407WFP from OcUK? one of the first i belive. I'd really like to hear your opinions on the screen if you'd be kind enough to put it through a few tests. You could perhaps use the review template from the sticky as im sure many people would love to hear how you find it. Don't forget some pictures too :)
I get a 404 on that template sorry... don't think I'm going to have too much time to do a review either, not unless you'll look after my baby and get my test plan ready for issue by thursday? :(

Edit: Oh, but one thing I can comment on quickly is that there was no power lead in the box!

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a power lead, but do you find the monitor slanted at all? Mines in its horizontal position but its slightly slanted to the right... from a distance its quite visible, up close not so much. But I have put a bit of card under the right leg to slant it upwards and make it more level.

And its deffo as far horizontal as it will go, ive pushed it beyonds its limits!

Associate
keogh said:
I got a power lead, but do you find the monitor slanted at all? Mines in its horizontal position but its slightly slanted to the right... from a distance its quite visible, up close not so much. But I have put a bit of card under the right leg to slant it upwards and make it more level.

And its deffo as far horizontal as it will go, ive pushed it beyonds its limits!
Yes but i just think it's because my desk isn't level... it seems to be square on to the stand :)

Associate
Mang0 Tree said:
Whoa :eek: That is much smaller than I expected, having it delivered to me at work is very doable :D

BTW, what's the difference between REV A01 & A02?
Yes... I really need to know this and fast :eek:
Is there actually any official confirmation that A02 even exists, other than some bloke in a forum? Is it possible to get A01 revisions replaced if A02 fixes something that's broke?

Also, very short review... it's big, I'm in love, buy one :D

Man of Honour
Another_Mook said:
Yes... I really need to know this and fast :eek:
Is there actually any official confirmation that A02 even exists, other than some bloke in a forum? Is it possible to get A01 revisions replaced if A02 fixes something that's broke?

Also, very short review... it's big, I'm in love, buy one :D

no one i have seen has received an A02 revision, i think it could well have been a slip or mistake by the one guy mentioning it on the Dell forums. ps link for the review template fixed now, so if you do have chance at all, please let us know how it is :)

Soldato
Another_Mook said:
Yes but i just think it's because my desk isn't level... it seems to be square on to the stand :)

Hmmm i can assure you my desk is level, hell I've even got the spirit level out, my desk is SPOT on, my monitor isn't! Sounds like this could ber a common problem with them... they should fix that!

baddass I might do that review if i get a spare minute... or u just want it done on 2407 that have come from ocuk?

Man of Honour
just intersted to hear UK user opinions, since all we have seen on the net are translated reports from Japan pretty much :)

as regards to the slight slant, that can be apparent on some of the Dell range due to a looseness in the stand attachment as that's where the screen rotates from into portrait mode. I noticed this a little on my 2405FPW but you soon ignore it, just adjust it slightly by hand and it's not really a problem

Associate
Baddass said:
just intersted to hear UK user opinions, since all we have seen on the net are translated reports from Japan pretty much :)

as regards to the slight slant, that can be apparent on some of the Dell range due to a looseness in the stand attachment as that's where the screen rotates from into portrait mode. I noticed this a little on my 2405FPW but you soon ignore it, just adjust it slightly by hand and it's not really a problem
Actually, after it was pointed out and I moved to my sofa, it is on quite a noticable slant. I've already forgiven it though, and I know it's not something that will bother me :)
Will get that template now, but it's getting late :(

Back
Top Bottom