thermaltake watercooling build

Associate
Right here we go, i expect a lot of OMG what have u bought, but i saw a few good reviews and for £60 i thought why not.

the photos were done on my phone so they are bad but here goes.

dsc000200uj.jpg

computer on air cooling.
idle temp at full speed with side on
cpu 34c
motherboard
34c
hard drive 31c

s&m load temp with the same
cpu 54c
motherboard
38c
hard drive
39c
dsc000239hc.jpg

all parts removed
dsc000251es.jpg

bath time for the case, my miniegg wire protector is copyrighten already so dont try and copy it, a lot of dust
dsc000298kx.jpg

nicely shiney face from factory

Associate
OP
dsc000385dh.jpg

pump now in and connected up
dsc000403yo.jpg

a few more pipes, crossfire cards and memory in
dsc000419wh.jpg

everything plumbed in and ready to go
dsc000450sf.jpg

currently how it is looking at the moment, need a few more lights i think

well wasnt expecting amazing temps but got it running

here are the temps
idle temp
cpu 32c
motherboard
35c
hard drive
31c

s&m load temp
cpu 47c
motherboard
35c
hard drive 38c

which really is no improvement at all but at least its nice and quite now, gonna get a better cpu block for it and i think ill leave it at that

Associate
Nice and quite? With 2 stock ATi fans? Are u nucking futts dude?

Im looking at a Swiftech 120 premium kit for my Opty 146 and x1900XT mainly to kill the noise, and secondly for the novelty factor.

Man of Honour
looks cool, is that two rads ?? a 120.2 and .1? and you put a bigwater on an FX60 clocked to 3ghz that is brave your temps should be high, although by your pics the bigwater is very different from when i got mine. new pump and new plate on the block by the looks of it

Soldato
Note to self: Don't get thermaltake for performance.
BTW, nice clean set up. (Not too sure about the long piping for that external one, the Thermaltake pump is weak for such long pipe)

Soldato
Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking about doing watercooling on the cheap!

The only way to make Thermaltack water-cooling good is to replace the following:

pump
rad
fans
tubing
block

Sorry turbotoaster ;)

Man of Honour
The guy has a cool and quiet system. Ok thermaltake aint the best for watercooling but it is as good as top end air without the noise for a lot less £££ than decent WC. Credit to you turbotoaster. I have a bigwater SE kit in my lads PC which is silent and does the job it was intended for, silent cooling on a budget (its a 146 @ 2.9ghz- load 45c/ 3 c better than TTBT).

Associate
Well i have 2 Thermaltake blocks on my dual Xeon and have to say they perform as well as the Swiftech (6000 series) one that was on there (from my old P4 (was trying to get another swiftech one but no longer available))
Full load is 40 with 120.2 rad & fans @ 1000rpm (can get that to 35 if i set the fans to max all the time) thats cooling the DPU as well.
People might slate Thermaltake off but the blocks seem OK, only bad point is the mounting plate is a bit heath-robinson.

Wise Guy
Soldato
weescott said:
The only way to make Thermaltack water-cooling good is to replace the following:

pump
rad
fans
tubing
block

Sorry turbotoaster ;)

LMAO! it's funny 'cos it's true :D

collisster said:
what could the waterblock be replaced with?

Well, an empty spam tin with a couple of straws poking out of it for barbs would probs perform better if it's a performance gain you're looking for.

Permabanned
weescott said:
Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking about doing watercooling on the cheap!

pump
rad
fans
tubing
block

Sorry turbotoaster ;)

i did it on the cheap with thermaltake (£30 from MM) and shaved ten degrees off my system and cpu temps... hardly a failure now is it... :rolleyes:

sure its not a proffesional kit, but its better than any air cooling and its quiet... although i do have to say i probably wouldnt of spent £60 on one, id of added the extra £20 to £40 and gone abit more up market.

Associate
Bigwater 745

Hi there

I have the same Bigwater 745 kit and have no problems with the water flow, the temperature of the water leaving the block is far lower the the cpu temperature, and the water entering the block is at room temperature. So I reckon that there must be a problem with the cpu block. The flow rate is plenty. I thought that perhaps the thermal paste must be no good, used the thermaltake stuff because my AC5 tube was empty! But after getting a new tube of AC5 I redid the CPU to little change. I was also thinking of changeing the water block to see what happens. I am running a 805 dual core by the way, and it will sit a 3.8 GHz all day, but then it would do that with an artic cooler pro also. I really think that with a different water block then we should see some improvement, though as everyone else on here points out that might lead to new everything else as well!

Associate
OP
Pandobear said:
Hi there

I have the same Bigwater 745 kit and have no problems with the water flow, the temperature of the water leaving the block is far lower the the cpu temperature, and the water entering the block is at room temperature. So I reckon that there must be a problem with the cpu block. The flow rate is plenty. I thought that perhaps the thermal paste must be no good, used the thermaltake stuff because my AC5 tube was empty! But after getting a new tube of AC5 I redid the CPU to little change. I was also thinking of changeing the water block to see what happens. I am running a 805 dual core by the way, and it will sit a 3.8 GHz all day, but then it would do that with an artic cooler pro also. I really think that with a different water block then we should see some improvement, though as everyone else on here points out that might lead to new everything else as well!

what temps are you getting idle and load

and also if ya can, post a picture of your setup so i can have a look

Soldato
Pandobear said:
Hi there

The flow rate is plenty.
its not really theflow rate in question, its the head pressure of theose pumps.
thermaltake are excelent for silence!
and yea turbo, id get those tubes as short as humanly possible for ^^^ that reason !
i think changing the waterblock would maybe have a negative effect, as most of todays blocks only really perform with high head pumps, that kit has gotta pump through 2 Rads and the block !... aswell as all that tubing and tiny barbs. so id say if it aint broke, dont fix it
but ive had a TT kit, and its got me started in more serious watercooling, if your obsessed with silence, go for it !!

Back
Top Bottom