Saxo Suspension

Associate
I'm a bit of a n00b at cars... :)

I've had my P reg saxo 1.4 for about 5 months now, and for a while my rear suspension has been squeaky, I had it checked out by the local citroen dealer and they said it was fine, just needed a bit WD40 every now and then to stop the squeaking.

However the squeak has turned into a rather worrying knocking sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel, anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanx
ChuKKi

Associate
I have the same problem with my pug 106, squeaking coming from the back rear wheel when driving slow (driver side). And I still avent fohnd out what it is

Associate
Asked question on 106 forum

I'm guessing but it sounds like your rear shock is knackard that side, this would make the car softer when going over bumps and would also contribute to the rubbing. Worst comes to worst then the rear beam bearings have failed on that side, but at 22k thats highly unlikely.
Get under the back of the car and take a good look at the shocks, if there is any wet patches on them, round them e.t.c. then its likely to be the oil from inside them meaning a seals gone.

No oil doesnt mean that the shocks ok, it could be an internal seal thats gone. Does that side feel more bouncy when going over bumps? you can also check for the squeek or any odd noises by opening the boot, sitting in it and bouncing...sounds odd and you'll look a twerp but it can show up some problems that you can hear more easily than when dirving
Like I said I very much doubt its rear beam bearings, they would be the last resort and would sound much more like a creak than a squeek, you'd also notice the back end getting rather twitchy on tight corners and the wheel would be tilting in a lot more than the one the other side at the top.

Soldato
I saw this exact problem on a car site a while back but, I can't remember the exact cure. It was something to do with a bolt on plate or something like that. GGR I'm gonna have to try and find it now because its got me thinking :p

EDIT: Anti roll bar end plates, they wear and make noise apparently!

Last edited:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
ARB end plates can come loose, you just need to tighten up the little bolt. It's worth whipping it off and covering it in loctite and putting it back on again. However that would usually make a mettalic "pinging" noise. Knocking on rear suspension could be trailing arm bearings, what mileage and age is the car?

Associate
OP
cool thanx for the info guys... the car is booked in to the garage for the 15th to have a bit of work done, I'll ask them to take another look at it...

any idea how much it would be to fix?

Associate
OP
GT3 said:
ARB end plates can come loose, you just need to tighten up the little bolt. It's worth whipping it off and covering it in loctite and putting it back on again. However that would usually make a mettalic "pinging" noise. Knocking on rear suspension could be trailing arm bearings, what mileage and age is the car?

The car is 96 (P reg) 1.4 VSX, just had its 90,000 mile service too

GT3

GT3

Soldato
ChuKKi Ninja said:
The car is 96 (P reg) 1.4 VSX, just had its 90,000 mile service too

Could well be trailing arm bearings then. If it is, it will be cheaper to get a low mileage entire rear beam from the scrappy.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
ChuKKi Ninja said:
when you say rear beam you mean the rear axle right?

There is no rear axle. You have your beam and anti roll bar with your trailing arms pivoting off it. It is easiest to get this entire assembly and just bolt it onto your car and connect the brake lines up.

Associate
OP
OK cool, I'll be getting it all checked out next week sometime

In the meantime is it still safe to drive it? Got mates coming up for the weekend and will need to make some journeys in it, my wheels not gonna fall off or anything? LOL :D

Thanx
Dave.

Caporegime
ChuKKi Ninja said:
OK cool, I'll be getting it all checked out next week sometime

In the meantime is it still safe to drive it? Got mates coming up for the weekend and will need to make some journeys in it, my wheels not gonna fall off or anything? LOL :D

Thanx
Dave.
Should be ok to drive, it will just clunk a bit.

Back
Top Bottom