• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is My Cpu Shafted?

Soldato
Hi guys i have been recently experiencing problems with my cpu where by at the windows logon screen i type my password in and it takes for ever to get to desktop! then once at desktop i get a "microsoft windows has recovered from a serious problem, send error report" window, Also when i open a internet browser (either IE or firefox) within 2/3mins it encounters a problem, also when i try to detect optimal clocks for my gfx card the comp just reboots.
*note this is with the cpu and ram all on stock settings

I have tried changeing my ram to my other ocz set and get the same problems, i am going to try with my x2 3800 and see if i get the same problems but i wasn't getting this in the past with the x2!

Any ideas folks?

Soldato
OP
hmm i'm now thinking you could be right sirius, as i have just put my x2 back in and am getting the same problems, again i can't detect optimal clocks for my gfx card before my comp restarts, and again firefox and IE keep coming up with errors, also noticed that Logitech Setpoint comes up with a error asking to re-install it aswell! So could be 1 of 3 things a) windows b) motherboard or c) psu (which i highly doubt)

Associate
if you have a spare blank HD you could reinstall windows onto this just to check if a clean install runs fine. If it does then you've discounted the core hardware as a problem.

Soldato
OP
I don't have a spare hard drive, so looks asthough i'm going to have to backup all my stuff then do a fresh install! you think it could be windows that's borked then?

Associate
I'd always recommend having more than one HD - the main that runs as windows then data and backup drives. This also means you can backup a stable and loaded (with programs) image of windows that you can back up from if necessary.

Soldato
I would just try a reinstall first. It could be a nerfed system file somewhere causing all your headaches. I would only get another HDD if your reinstall on your current HDD failed.

SiriusB

Soldato
excuse my ignorance, but I am having identical problems. Im going to install my new opty 165 and new RAM tonight and do a clean install.

Will a simple install over the current one still retain all my settings and applications?

Soldato
OP
define settings? i would recommend when re-installing windows that you delete the old partition and start from fresh! my advice and what i'm doing is backing up all my vital data onto my portable hard drive (inc drivers etc) then load them back on after i'm done!

Soldato
If you have to keep your settings then a Repair install is what you want. However this an untidy way of doing it and may not rid you of your problems. You really should do a fresh install.

SiriusB

Associate
I had a similar prob with a 144 bought from here, machine took an eternity to boot[seemed like the cache was knacked] reflashed the bios and re-seated CPU and it worked fine from then on.

Soldato
OP
unfortunately stephenB i have tried both my chips and it's not that, and when i finally do get to windows desktop i get all sorts of errors from programmes that have encountered problems and need to close, this morning i got 4 and a microsoft windows one too :( will back up then reformatt tonight.

Soldato
OP
ok guys just reformatted my comp and although the windows errors have gone, i'm still getting the internet browser error's as soon as i browse, asking me to send a error report and that it has encountered a problem! So does this mean my hard drive is screwed or is it something else?

Soldato
OP
ok now when i load up a game my comp just crashes and restarts and i'm welcomed with loads of error's saying "windows has just recovered from a serious error" also my xf-i control pannel isn't saving my settings

PLEASE SOMEONE JUST TELL ME IF IT'S MY HARDRIVE THAT'S JAFFED, OR IS IT MY MOTHERBOARD?

I have only been experiencing these problems since my comp shorted out one day randomly and i had difficulty getting it to boot, now it boots but is so unstable!

Back
Top Bottom