• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 6800GT 256mb

Soldato
Hi,

Currently I have a 6800 GT which crashes in some games (FEAR, Half Life 2 so far). First off the whole screen fills with pink/white and some other coloured blocks and then the screen goes to sleep.

The graphic card is fine in all the other games I currently play, but not these 2.

As I cannot get the graphic card replaced I'm thinking about getting a nice shiny new one for my birthday.

What's the best upgrade for around the 7800GT price please? And if the 7800 is the best upgrade for around that price then what kind of a difference will I see please?

Thanks,
Craig. :)

Permabanned
Are you looking to buy new, or second hand?? Remember that when vista is released there will be a host of new cards that support the DX10 standard, so its not really worth buying anything to expensive.

You can pick up a second hand 7800gtx for approx 170, with which you will see a dramatic improvement (you should be able to max out pretty much everything)

It all depends on your budget.

Soldato
OP
I'm really not sure on the AGP and PCI connections, this 6800 I have was bought from the PCI section on OcUK a while back, and it fits this motherboard I have which says by the graphic card slot AGP 8X yet the graphic card connection doesn't look anything like they look like in the AGP section on OcUK so I'm really not sure about PCI and AGP >.<

I'm not really sure on the price, I'll just say around £150-£200 for now.

Soldato
If on PCIE the best bang per buck card is this ...

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO)
Price: £139.95 (£164.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

... at stock faster than both the 7900GT & 7800GTX.

Cant possibly go wrong with that deal!!

Associate
Craig321 said:
I'm really not sure on the AGP and PCI connections, this 6800 I have was bought from the PCI section on OcUK a while back, and it fits this motherboard I have which says by the graphic card slot AGP 8X yet the graphic card connection doesn't look anything like they look like in the AGP section on OcUK so I'm really not sure about PCI and AGP >.<

I'm not really sure on the price, I'll just say around £150-£200 for now.

Tell us what motherboard you have, and we will let you know the graphics card upgrade options. There are three types PCI (very old), AGP (old), PCIe (new). A few motherboards support AGP and PCIe.

Whilst you are at it, let us know your CPU type, PSU make and amount of RAM. Any one of these can limit your graphics upgrade.

[J]

Soldato
OP
At the moment I've got the Asus P5P800SE - it is an AGP motherboard... well at least it says it is. Yet the graphic card that was bought from the PCI section on OcUK fits perfectly and works perfectly.

Also, I have a 3.0GHZ Intel 1mb l2, 1GB Corsair XMS3200 Pro DDR, Akasa Ultra Quiet 460w ATX 2.0.

Craig.

Soldato
For that price something like ..
XFX GeForce 7800 GS 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (PVT70-KUAF7) (GX-068-XF) £205.57 Including VAT.

However as far as performance goes these are somewhere between a 6800GT & 6800Ultra, depending on games played. So not a huge boost. Theres no point paying more than that for a graphics card as your P4 will be holding you back. You would be better off getting a 2nd hand card though, imo.

Soldato
OP
What difference would I see from my current card --> Albatron GeForce 7900GT 256MB PCI-E 256bit DDR3, TV-OUT, Dual DVI ?

They're 211.49 (that includes VAT) from a competitor.

Craig.

Soldato
The 7900GT is easily double the performance of a 6800GT.

If going PCIE though i would advise you to consider the X1800XT - faster & cheaper than the 7900GT.

Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO)
Price: £139.95 (£164.44 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Associate
U do realise that u dont have a PCI-E motherboard, ull need a new one if going down this route. I feel AGP has finally come to its grave and so this may be wise.
Also price to performance wise, u'll be better buying a new graphics card and motherboard than just buying an AGP.

Happy Shopping ;)

Soldato
OP
tomisgod said:
U do realise that u dont have a PCI-E motherboard, ull need a new one if going down this route. I feel AGP has finally come to its grave and so this may be wise.
Also price to performance wise, u'll be better buying a new graphics card and motherboard than just buying an AGP.

Happy Shopping ;)

As I said in my first post, the current graphic card was bought from the PCI section of OcUK, so I really don't get this >.<.

Craig.

Associate
if the graphics card is PCIE then you must be wrong about the motherboard you have... either that or you're wrong about the graphics card being PCIE. It's one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom