Old Fast Cars

Associate
Discovered that I can insure cars TFPT for very cheap.

Say a budget of around £2500 tops. Can anyone recommend a fast old car?

No more than 200BHP.

Just needs to be quite a bit quicker than my current 2L Focus.

Was thinking of 200SX, Rover Coupe Turbo etc.

Can't insure an MR2 Turbo sadly.

Just want something fast + fun for summer. :D

Caporegime
Actually, having thought about it, you want something fun for the summer. I'd be looking at a soft-top of some variety then (assuming you won't be using it come winter).

Could get a nice MX5 for that kind of cash, ok, so it won't be blisteringly fast, but it would certainly be fun. Hand-on-heart, the most "fun" car I have been in at legal speeds.

Associate
OP
200SX I'm liking a lot but an S14 for my kind of cash would be a dog? They all seem to be 4k+

Would an S13 be reliable enough?

They also seem to be as rare as rocking horse **** now...

Associate
Have a look at www.sxoc.com if you want to know about s13's and 14's, there's a lot of very helpful people on there and some cars for sale!

And my tuppence is, the 180sx and 200sx are excellent cars & very reliable for what they are. I had a s14a for a couple of years and it was superb.

However, the MX5 could still be a good option, possibly more fun than the nissan, but a bit slower.......

Soldato
William said:
Could you maybe squeeze a Nissan Skyline into that? Probably a shed though.

Maybe a Triumph Dolly Sprint...

Oh yes a nice Dolly Sprint. :D Tune it up nicely and it will really scare you!

I could get insured on a Dolly Sprint for £850 for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't discount the S13. Ok they look a bit dated but they are fast and they dont attract much attention from the car crooks or joyriders cos they dont look fancy anymore. Very fun cars, I would love one although I'm not sure I would trade for my MX5.

Man of Honour
mattpc said:
Don't discount the S13. Ok they look a bit dated but they are fast and they dont attract much attention from the car crooks or joyriders cos they dont look fancy anymore. Very fun cars, I would love one although I'm not sure I would trade for my MX5.

yer the s13 is a great little car, some seriously nicely modded examples arount, but you'll have a hard time finding one thats stock :) Will also proberbly need to have had an engine rebuild, but most have - again proberbly won't swap my mx5 for one, but great cars none the less

hows about i throw a bit of a weird one into the frey and suggest a rx7 fc :) lubbly cars and you really don't see them around much at all
edit: like this one :) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-MAZDA-RX7-2-RED_W0QQitemZ4646835679QQcategoryZ18211QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Permabanned
Rover Coupe Turbo would be perfect tbh. Its a fun car, you can thrash the nuts off it within reason! (Dont kill it in first gear lol) Its great for the summer as well! I had one breifly last summer and it was great with the glass roof! :D Went like stink to! :)

Soldato
How about a classic that will gain you the respect of evey man alive.

1993 VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO 2.9 VR6 3dr Coupe
media

Price: £2,500

Associate
Corrado VR6 for the win. 190bhp when new, though as with all cars this age they will probably have lost some horsepower. (Remember the the old supercar challenge on TopGear?! ;))

Last edited:
Man of Honour
GlasgowTitan said:
Corrado VR6 for the win.

i'm very surprised you can get them for such little money, they always seemed to carry a serious premium from what i've seen before.... Although if i remeber correctly at the time of release the review rated the sx over the corrado.... + they have far more tuneing potential being fi :)

Back
Top Bottom