Quick footy trivia question, Answer needed!!

Soldato
I guess the question could do with some clarification. By "International signing" do you mean a foreign born player signing for an English club or does it have to be a transfer from a foreign club to an English one?

Found a couple of names for you to look into anyway:

Nils Middelboe, (Denmark) played for Chelsea from 1913-1921 but he was an Amateur and I can't find anything regarding a transfer other than that he signed for Newcastle before he played for Chelsea.

Also, Max Seeburg who was born in Germany but moved to London as a child and played for Spurs in 1908/9.

Soldato
Vandle said:
Not sure mate but it was way before that.
Newcastle had the Robledo brothers in the late 40's and early 50's.
Chillians they were.

First Foreign Player - Tony Whitson (v Notts County April, 14th 1906)

For years it was thought the Robledo bothers (George and Ted), born in Iquique in Chile, were the first foreign players ever to play for Newcastle. But, after intense research, we've come across information concerning left-back Tony Whitson who signed for Newcastle in February 1905 and went on to play 145 games for the club. Although of Geordie parents and raised in the north-east, he was born in Capetown in South Africa. He appeared in both FA Cup finals of 1909/10 and 1910/11, but missed the replay against Barnsley because of injury and didn't receive a winners medal. Even before Whitson we found Ten Birnie (born 1878) who also came into contention. He made his Newcastle debut in 1898 and was born in … Sunderland!

Man of Honour
OP
Gooner14 said:
No he wasn't. He wasn't born here ;) You said England in your question :p

He was born in a British colony which makes him British.. but still a foreigner I suppose :confused:

So how are these Russians i'm thinking of then? I'm sure they made headline news for being the first foreign signings.. Maybe it was the price..

Man of Honour
Admiral Huddy said:
So how are these Russians i'm thinking of then? I'm sure they made headline news for being the first foreign signings.. Maybe it was the price..

If it's the 70's are you sure you're not thinking of Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa, 2 Argentinian's signed by Spurs in the late 70's (1978 I think it was).

Soldato
Gooner14 said:
First Foreign Player - Tony Whitson (v Notts County April, 14th 1906)

For years it was thought the Robledo bothers (George and Ted), born in Iquique in Chile, were the first foreign players ever to play for Newcastle. But, after intense research, we've come across information concerning left-back Tony Whitson who signed for Newcastle in February 1905 and went on to play 145 games for the club. Although of Geordie parents and raised in the north-east, he was born in Capetown in South Africa. He appeared in both FA Cup finals of 1909/10 and 1910/11, but missed the replay against Barnsley because of injury and didn't receive a winners medal. Even before Whitson we found Ten Birnie (born 1878) who also came into contention. He made his Newcastle debut in 1898 and was born in … Sunderland!
Everyday's a schoolday!

I didnt use google though ;)

Back
Top Bottom