a weekend in Bath or Oxford with gf?

tbs

tbs

Associate
so im planning to spend a wkend up there with my s/o and i was looking at where to go. i want to go to Bath Spa for quite a while now, but ive never been it looks calm and quiet and of course i want visit the Baths.

Ive been told that Bath is slight bit too quiet and theres not much to do (especially if im planning to spend a weekend up there), in terms of shopping, and that it could be done in one day, im not too bothered about that myself, but of course i dont want it to be boring for my s/o.

so, the alternative that was brought up upon me is Oxford. ive never been there either, so i would have no idea where to start, ive been on the oxford site, and it doesnt really give me much of whats there, depending on the area we go to.

so can anyone tell me which one is prefreble to go to as i dont mind visiting either of them, and this would be our first wkend together away if i can get it sorted by the end of this month :D

recommendations on nice hotels, shopping centers, resturants etc would be greatly appreiciated! :cool:

tbs

tbs

Associate
OP
vonhelmet said:
How about a weekend with your girlfriend in the bath?

*any resulting pruniness is not my fault

did you see what happen to david blain? :p

anyone help pls?!

Associate
OK..no smutty comments here ;)
I've been to both Oxford and Bath with the (now ex) gf, and can (in my experience) say that Oxford was much better.

We stayed in a little hotel about 25 mins drive from Oxford city center which made it a nice contrast. We discovered lots of little pubs and restaurants around the countryside when we just decided to have a random drive around, it was very nice.

Oxford city centre was obviously dominated by the University, so if you like architecture then you're in for a treat.

Bath had many similarities, but I found the surrounding countryside not nearly as interesting and generally the trip wasn't nearly as relaxing.

To be fair, we did visit Bath during their renovations, so part of it did look like a building site, but now I understand that their public Baths are fully open, which are supposed to be fantastic.

Hope that helps!

tbs

tbs

Associate
OP
robbiemc said:
OK..no smutty comments here ;)
I've been to both Oxford and Bath with the (now ex) gf, and can (in my experience) say that Oxford was much better.

We stayed in a little hotel about 25 mins drive from Oxford city center which made it a nice contrast. We discovered lots of little pubs and restaurants around the countryside when we just decided to have a random drive around, it was very nice.

Oxford city centre was obviously dominated by the University, so if you like architecture then you're in for a treat.

Bath had many similarities, but I found the surrounding countryside not nearly as interesting and generally the trip wasn't nearly as relaxing.

To be fair, we did visit Bath during their renovations, so part of it did look like a building site, but now I understand that their public Baths are fully open, which are supposed to be fantastic.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the info, yea its giving me some insight and ideas about each. theres no thing and that i dont have a car (student :p), so is it easy to get around if we had to walk to places?

i was told oxford would be a better place to go too, as theres more to see and do compared to bath, same was said that its the coutry side etc thats quite boring.

i am into architechture and such, so it would be great for me, but again im not sure if it would be idea for her if i was spending more time taking photos :p

where abouts did you stay, do you remember? was it a hotel or B&B? and was it reasonably priced?

alx

alx

Soldato
I've been to Oxford a few times and go to uni in Bath. While Bath is a really nice 'city', there is probably more to do in Oxford, but I haven't been to either as tourist so to speak.
I know friends who live in/near Oxford and go punting quite a bit, and they say that's good fun. While you can go punting in Bath as well, I don't know how good it is, or how far you have to walk to get there. Oxford is larger so has more shops, but Bath has a lot more small independent shops and less chain shops/deparment stores. Bath also has little back alleys which can be quite fun to explore if that's your thing.
From my experience, both have nice places to eat and drink, so there is no real winner there.
I can't really help you much on actual tourists attractions, apart from what you already know, but a quick google should bring up info on things to do in both cities.

Hope that helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

Suspended
ballistic said:
oxford? bah, take her to paris you cheapskate

Take her to a ***** caravan park for the hols, if she leaves you then she's just with you for money/leeching....if she stays with you, keep hold of her. :) :)

Man of Honour
I personally think they're not the most exciting places on the planet...but Bath if I had to choose. I spent a year in Oxford and pretty much saw it all from Headington to, erm, the other side of it. Bath's got cool Roman stuff as well...

tbs

tbs

Associate
OP
greenlizard0 said:
I personally think they're not the most exciting places on the planet...but Bath if I had to choose. I spent a year in Oxford and pretty much saw it all from Headington to, erm, the other side of it. Bath's got cool Roman stuff as well...

yea thats why im pretty torn between the two, the roman baths or the oxford caus etheres more to do and see. so i dunno :confused:

also, jersey popped into my mind :D any recommendations on that?

Associate
Does she have any interest in Jane Austin?
If so, Bath is the go!
My wife went to just about every Austin related site in the city... and even took the famous medicinal waters of Aqua Sulis (appologies to those that know the correct spelling).;)

I was born in Cambridge, so on principle don't premote Oxford.:D

Associate
I went to Bath last year for a romantic weekend and it was great. Stayed in the Bath Priory hotel, which is the best Hotel I've stayed in anywhere in the world - fabulous service, Michelin 2 starred restaurant, great rooms, pool etc but it's not cheap.....

tbs

tbs

Associate
OP
im liking all these ideas :D keep them coming.

also, which hotel recommendations would be great too lol :p

Associate
tbs said:
..where abouts did you stay, do you remember? was it a hotel or B&B? and was it reasonably priced?

We stayed in a nice little 'out the way' hotel, but this about 20-25 mins out of the city centre, so you'd need a car..I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems finding cheap accomodation in either city though.

One thing about Bath, although theres obviously a lot of wonderful Roman architecture, I was disapointed to see a fair bit of the city centre had been ruined with 1960s buildings :(

tbs

tbs

Associate
OP
wozzizname said:
I went to Bath last year for a romantic weekend and it was great. Stayed in the Bath Priory hotel, which is the best Hotel I've stayed in anywhere in the world - fabulous service, Michelin 2 starred restaurant, great rooms, pool etc but it's not cheap.....

how much are we talking about? :shifty eyes:

Associate
tbs said:
how much are we talking about? :shifty eyes:
Blimey when I was a student I could barely afford a Happy-meal let alone a Michelin 2 starred place!

Good on ya, but be careful though..don't throw too much at the new gf if its only been 2 weeks..apart from anything she may get used to the lifestyle! ;)

Back
Top Bottom