Advice needed on a cooler Aria case.

Associate
Ok hoping someone can advise, i just puirchased an Antec Aria case and will be fitting an Epox Matx mobo skt A. I've got a spare Coolermaster aero 7 - which i'm dounbting is going to fit. Can anyone recommend a cooler. Needs to support an xp3000, was looking at one of the old arctic cooler jobbies.

Any advice would be appriciated.

H

Soldato
The best cooler for an Aria is a Zalman CNPS7000b copper. It will fit socket A as long as the mobo has the 4 mounting holes around it. Does the Epox mobo have these?

/Late edit: The newly released cnps8000 is probably better, but I've not read any reports yet.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the mobo doesnt.... any idea on what the spacing is i maybe able to make at least 2 fixing points. ATM i have butchered my aero 7 and put a stock a64 3500 cooler fan on it. works ok with temps of 30 degrees non load but windoze ain ton yet

H.

Soldato
I'm not sure what you mean by 'fixing points' but here's the dimensions of the Zalman bracket needed for Socket A. The holes are 36mm apart on the board.
dsc027265il.jpg

That's measured from the centre of each hole obviously.

Don't go drilling holes in the mobo! ;)

Soldato
You need an old style cooler that you can reverse the fan on - so that the air is sucked up through the fine and out the fan at the back. Daft question, but you have got the PSU fan header connected to the motherboard haven't you? It won't pull any air without it.

The AC is the best cooler that OcUK do as far as I can see.

Associate
You're going to want to crack out the holesaw and put a couple of 92mm fan's near the front of the side panels too.
A couple of Akasa Ambers have taken a good 20 degrees off my CPU temp - and this is a 3000+ AMD64 venice with a Zalman 7000B copper on it.

Associate
OP
thanks for the advice, will see how we go. The rig itself will be a 24/7 box so noise levels are gonna be low and with low noise means higher teamps so we'll see if i can get an even balance between performance, heat and noise.

H

Associate
OP
p4radox said:
The best cooler for an Aria is a Zalman CNPS7000b copper. It will fit socket A as long as the mobo has the 4 mounting holes around it. Does the Epox mobo have these?

right i have checked my mobo and the zlaman site says Clip must be cut of for it to fit. what do they mean clips? I'm going to also have to get inside the case cuz whne i'm installing windows i get a BSOD error on setup of xp so i'm thinking somethings not right.

Soldato
I'm not sure, the only thing i can think of is the plastic edge of the socket A mounting thing. But don't go cutting anything off in a hurry just yet. Can you link me to where it mentions the clip?

Associate
OP
i just stripped my pc down again and it doesnt have the mounting holes that the website suggests.... so i think i'm going to plum for the artic cooling.

But i finally got it up and running with an aero 7 heat sink and a coolermaster 80mm spare case fan i had. not silent but its doing ok atm. Hoping to get some good temos. about 35 degree load sound right?

H

Soldato
hudson said:
i just stripped my pc down again and it doesnt have the mounting holes that the website suggests.... so i think i'm going to plum for the artic cooling.

But i finally got it up and running with an aero 7 heat sink and a coolermaster 80mm spare case fan i had. not silent but its doing ok atm. Hoping to get some good temos. about 35 degree load sound right?

H

That sounds exceptionally good to me. An XP3000 at only 35 under load? Blimey - my 2500 used to run at 58 under load and that was on a Zalman! :p My Opty is a lot better though, 46 under load, and that's overclocked with the case sides on. I also added an 80mm blowhole.

Associate
OP
right the fan i placed on the cooler is resonating too much. It seems that its cooling fine (will get accurate temps) but was thinking, could i actually stick the fan tot he edges of the cooler with silicone to allow for free movement?

Also how good are vantec/silentx fans - could i expect anything quieter than an arctic cooling jobby?

H

Soldato
hudson said:
right the fan i placed on the cooler is resonating too much. It seems that its cooling fine (will get accurate temps) but was thinking, could i actually stick the fan tot he edges of the cooler with silicone to allow for free movement?

Also how good are vantec/silentx fans - could i expect anything quieter than an arctic cooling jobby?

H

Which arctic cooling model are you referring to? I once had the Copper Silent 2L and it was silent on low speed mode. Are you sure the Arctic will fit?

SilenX are very quiet fans, but don't push a huge amount of air. The stats are exaggerated too - they're not 14dB - quite a bit more but still damn quiet.

About the silicone: yeah give it a go. :)

Associate
OP
p4radox said:
Which arctic cooling model are you referring to? I once had the Copper Silent 2L and it was silent on low speed mode. Are you sure the Arctic will fit?

I can only get the sl2 (the one with the fan mounted aboube the heatsink). I'll measure up later tonight if i can find dimensions on their website.

H

Soldato
hudson said:
I can only get the sl2 (the one with the fan mounted aboube the heatsink). I'll measure up later tonight if i can find dimensions on their website.

H

I can't find anything about the "sl2" anywhere, and I've never heard of it. :confused: Have a look on Arctic Cooling's website for the dimensions.

It can't be more than 63mm high or it probably won't fit in.

Back
Top Bottom