DIY Advice?

Soldato
It's been over a year scince my mum said she'd redo my room and the first thing that was done was the tiles on the ceiling were taken off and the ceiling was skimmed. I wasn't at all happy with this because it looks like a 5 year old did it. I assume sanding it down lightly then putting some of that pollyfiller undercoat stuff should do the trick I hope.

My cupboard was also taken out but I wanted the walls ready for painting something the cowboy didn't understand. So this year the walls were skimmed and they did a much better job than the other lot but this guy was also slightly deaf.

The otherside of this is flat.

This is the problem. It seems the corner of this wall is a block of wood. I told the guy I wanted that flattened and the walls flat and ready for paint but he assumed I meant I wanted a block of wood sticking out of the wall.

He asked me what I wanted him to do with it and I said well you're a carpenter what would you do! Then after he said ripping it out I said ever heard of a plane (good old D.T lessons) and he actually said no. :rolleyes: I then reccomending sanding it down he said no again.

I'm pretty sure sanding it down would work fine but I've ha no DIY experience and hoped someone out there could reccomend something I could do myself as I'm really ****** off at builders in general atm even though my mum keeps getting them to do more work in the hous. :(

Man of Honour
Can I just check something? Did he put that block of wood in there or was it left over from something before? To be honest it won't look right unless it's taken out. Planning it would not look that great and sanding it just isn't realistic.

As for the ceiling get some flexible filler (Tetrion is my personal favourite - I find Polyfilla sets too hard). Fill any cracks or dips, let it dry, then sand down. Keep repeating until you're happy. Then paint it with a white emulsion. This shows up loads more blemishes. So keep repeating until really happy even with the white emulsion.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hades said:
Can I just check something? Did he put that block of wood in there or was it left over from something before? To be honest it won't look right unless it's taken out. Planning it would not look that great and sanding it just isn't realistic.

As for the ceiling get some flexible filler (Tetrion is my personal favourite - I find Polyfilla sets too hard). Fillany cracks or dips, let it dry, then sand down. Keep reeating until you're happy. Then paint it with a white emulsion. This shows up loads more blemishes. So keep repeating until really happy even with the white emulsion.

I didn't even know it was there until they removed the fitted cupboard thats been there scince I moved in. THe other side of that corner looks fine though as the wood is completly flat with the wall.

I wasn't intending on usinf polly filler that stuff you see on the adverts that you just paint on.

Think the title might need changing to DIY. :(

Permabanned
You'll have to rip it out and get both sides of the wall repaired as necessary.
I take it that it goes all the way up to the ceiling?

Soldato
OP
VIRII said:
You'll have to rip it out and get both sides of the wall repaired as necessary.
I take it that it goes all the way up to the ceiling?

It actually doesn't. It's hard to explain but I'll get a photo up asap to show you.

It doesn't stick out the whole way up. It strangely merges into the wall.

Last edited:
Associate
That strip was probably put there to square up the corner on the face of the other wall - then left there.

No way in hell you'll plane or sand it down - just have to pull it off and fix the wall again.

Associate
if you're skimming a large area then multi is the best option, most DIY fixes for larges areas are a bit poo. Unfortunately plastering is a bit harder than it looks

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all your advice so far but I have one more question for you.

The guy who plastered the walls said to put a layer of this bonding stuff on the walls before I paint but I've found two types in the back. One is Super Evo-Bond the other is Waterproof Evo-Bond. I assume the non waterproof one should be the one I use as I don't generally splash water around my room.

Soldato
OP

Some more pics for you. Not very good buut I tried to highlight the important bits. Are you sure i can't sand it down even if I wanted to spend all my time doing it as it's that or leave it as it is.

Soldato
I'd take it off, no two ways about it, have a close look at it see if you can see how its fastened, possibly countersunk woodscrews polyfillered over... dig them out and unscrew it.

If you can't see anything, get a crowbar on it, apply brute force and ignorance, and hopefully you should be able to work out whats holding it (or just drag the fixings right out the wall)

Soldato
Just to clarify - you want to get that sticky out bit flush with the plaster?

If so, theres no way on earth you'll be able to do it by sanding, it must by 3/4" thick, would take years!

For painting newly plastered walls you need to do the following:

1. Go over the plaster with a scraper and gently remove any lumps
2. Use a first coat of DILUTE emulsion (pref contract)
3. Lightly sand
4. Use a second coat of dilute emulsion, but thicker than first coat
5. Lightly sand
6. First coat of colour (non-dilute)
7. Second coat of colour

Trying to paint normal emulsion straight onto new plaster will be a cracking/peeling nightmare.

Bonding on fresh plaster before painting? God NO! PVA on brickwork prior to plastering, yes, but on plaster before painting, NO NO NO! - it'll just ruin the finish and is a mare to paint over.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. I'll tell the guy who did the work next time I see him!

ABout the wood in the wall. I don't really want to take it out because it actually is the corner of the wall. :( I suppose a plantpot will do the job nicely though. :(

Soldato
OP
When you say dilute emulsion you mean mix the paint with water right?

Also what do you use to fill in the sides of the slabs on a patio? I thought it was concrete then I was told it was some kind of special grouting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom