Useful for anyone with a mercedes 5 speed auto gearbox

Soldato
Came across an amazing tip today.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19457

Tried it on my car as I had a couple of 'gearbox sticking on wrong gear incidents' today and it had amazing results! I was always happy with the smoothness of the box on mine anyway but now the gearchanges are almost inperceptible, car feels much nippier, as if its just gained a good few HP and generally just feels a lot better.

I guess its had 9 years of trying to learn driving styles and in the end the ECU gets a bit bogged down - bit like a windows installation lol. This just resets it to factory install :)

Soldato
Sagalout said:
I guess its had 9 years of trying to learn driving styles and in the end the ECU gets a bit bogged down - bit like a windows installation lol. This just resets it to factory install :)

Im quite amazed that in 9 years the battery hasnt been removed for more than 30mins at least once!

Suspended
Nothing to do with gear box but there is a similar thing you do with a RX8 to clear out its ports if you flood it due to a short journey.

Foot flat on gas pedal, turn engine over for 10 seconds. Mix and repeat a couple of times. Draw back is it reduces the life of the starter motor a bit.

Soldato
Oh cool, BMW have this too - the adaptive throttle over time can become less responsive. Sounds like a very similar fix too :)

Back
Top Bottom