attic + summer = bad bad bad

Permabanned
cpu is at 50oC at idle, room temperature is 34oC windows are open, fans on, oh... and ive got water cooling :(

oh well, guess i will have to reduce to overclock till the weather passes :(

Permabanned
OP
Mikey1280 said:
Oh dear thats toasty, is it the thermaltake kit though?

it is... its fine during normal summer weather but todays extra warm :( attics just arnt good for PC`s, i think even a proffesional water cooler would have a temp increase under this weather

anyone know where i can buy a small AC unit ?

Don
there are a few sites that sell AC... I remember spending long summers up in the attic when I was a kid playing on my Mega Drive, Commodore Amiga, Commodore 64...

I hated being up there buy my passion for gaming, well I never came down untill I had to go to bed :)

Stelly

Permabanned
OP
there all so damn expensive :( only want to spend about £40 on it as i wont be here for ever.

EDIT: dropped OC to 2.6Ghz, voltage to stock, saved 2oC :) should help a little, i found a little AC unit on fleebay for £20 but i dont know how well it will work, it works off ice packs and presumably at that price your only going to get cool air for as long as the ice packs hold out then youl have to run to your freezer and spend a couple of hours freezing them again... not ideal...

Last edited:
Soldato
Why did you drop the overclock? It's only 50'C.

As for AC - I can recommend whatever Homebase model I bought when I was in a similar position - my flat was in the roof of a house and the summer made it unbearable. I thought £150 was a bargain for an aircon unit - it's also mucho useful for pointing at the PC when overclocking (I'm on water too and the rad just loves 16'C air :D)

Associate
I saw some pics of your setup the other day jimbo, ever heard of putting the components in a case with a side panel that looks nice :D ?

Anyway what is that odd contraption beneath your rad? And it looks to me that you are running 2x 120mm fans on a 120.3?

EDIT: NM you have replied in other thread

Last edited:
Soldato
my room gets unbearable hot, PC with an intel chip in it, no sides on case ( getting painted) but worst f all 2x 17'' monitors
i had the wondows open wide the other day and it just was not getting any cooler, i hate summer lol.

got no means of measuring temp in my room though, how accurate are 'mercury' thermometres these days ?

Soldato
Hmm.. is this a fully converted atic etc? Only thing is that i'm moving up into my attic this year hopefully.. And my XP Barton is at 50c constantly in cold weather :D

Permabanned
OP
benjo said:
Hmm.. is this a fully converted atic etc? Only thing is that i'm moving up into my attic this year hopefully.. And my XP Barton is at 50c constantly in cold weather :D

well a barton will take 50oC at idle, basically anything up to 65oC is fine for them, (ran my XP2800 Barton at idle of 55 for 2 years) but if you want to be comfortable when using your pc, dont move into the attic, mine s a proper conversion, its bloody freezing in winter and cooking in summer, you get about 4 months of grace, march/aprill and october/november after that its always going to be too cold or too hot.

Soldato
My 3700 @ 2.7ghz with 1.52v is now sitting at 36 degrees idle on a XP-120 avec le Panaflo 120mm

I'm suprised as its not gone up any further :confused: My room is absolutely roasting!

Associate
locutus12 said:
it is... its fine during normal summer weather but todays extra warm :( attics just arnt good for PC`s, i think even a proffesional water cooler would have a temp increase under this weather

Yeah, problem with watercooling is that your temperatures can only ever be room temperature, and obviously much higher regardless of kit. My PC's been on melting point too lately, CPU reaching 60 C sometimes :O

Associate
Another attic user here, currently running 48c idle :(

Although I do have an A/C unit, which I need to dig out!, best investment you can make, head to B&Q and see whats on offer. Drops room temp a huge amount, also depending where everything is placed you can direct the cold air in the direction of your intake fans on your PC :D

Back
Top Bottom