• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safe CPU temp !!!

Associate
I have slightly overclocked my cpu.I have a opti 165 and its running at 2300 mhz, not a big over clock, but a 500 mhz gain on stock.My cpu is 44c/108F on idle/desktop.When i use prime it goes up to 52c, is this ok. ? Cheers

Associate
OP
I have an Artic Cooler 64 Freezer Pro. My cpu volts are at 1.425, i never lower them. Should i lower the volts. Im not good at overclocking, and i cant seem to get more out of this chip, it has the crappy stepping CCBWE 0607.I know my mate had it at 2.6ghz, but i can only do 2.3 ghz. And im using an Asus A8N32 Sli-Deluxe m/b. Cheers guys.

Associate
OP
I put my cpu volts on 1.350 and its come down a little.Pc still working and very stable.Its now 42 on idle :) I just need to try and push this baby now to 2.5 ghz and bring the temps down a little.

Soldato
Actually, the safe Threshold is well above 50c, should be perfectly fine up to 65c or so, even beyond that it's not going to suffer damage until the temperatures get well above that even, more like something in the region of 80-90c.

52 under Prime is absolutely fine. I used to have a 754 cpu that would run 48 idle, 51-52 at this time of year and climb to around 65 under load in the summer, never had a problem with it, stable as anything.

However I would not have expected an Opteron 165 to run as warm as yours is. But it's nothing to worry about.

str

str

Soldato
Is the Freezer 64 and it's fan oriented towards the rear case fan or is the CPU socket oriented differently where it's pointing elsewhere?

My old motherboard had the socket oriented where the Freezer 64 pointed towards the PSU/top of the case but my new board is pointing it at the rear case fan and as a result the CPU and everything else runs a lot cooler.

Also what's the average room temperature?

If it's 20c your CPU/case cooling might not be working too well but if the average room temperature is 30c then I'd say yeah it's working well with those temps you're getting.

str

str

Soldato
Also it's an Asus board so possibly the reported CPU temp is higher than the reality. You might want to give Next Sensor a try and enable the on-die thermal diode reporting to get a comparison of motherboard reported CPU temp and the actual CPU temp as reported by the CPU.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Paul_Robson said:
More volts is better cooling. I thought it was the less volts the lower the temps.Now my brain is all confused and im starting to cry.

Hehe, no you asked how people were getting the higher overclocks, the answer is more than likely they are running more volts and have better cooling. (or they have fluked a super chip!)

Out of interest Hex, which part of hudds are you from ?

I live in Deighton, work at the Hospital in Lindley :D

Associate
OP
My cooler is facing my memory.very tight fit with just 1mm to spare between the cpu fan and the memory.Its a close call, but thats how its supposed to be fitted on this m/b. I have been told that anything under 65c once before, so im well under.All my games play well, well, the one that i have in, its only San Andreas, and i only play the multiplayer side of it for an hour at most.My room is about 30 temp so i guess thats ok. My case is a good midi case with only a geforce 7800gta bfg, and i just put in a brand new 620w enermax this morning from OC.So im all cable modular friendly :) Anyone know why my cant push my chip to 2.5 gig. Im happy with 2.3 gig, but i would love to hit that 2.5 ghz.

str

str

Soldato
From the above it sounds like the CPU fan is blowing air towards the graphics card which IMO is probably not a good thing. Is that right?

You might want to give 2.5 GHz a try with Vcore at 1.55v (it's a safe voltage and should be selectable in the BIOS without having to use VID Special or whatever the Asus board calls it) and run Prime95 Small FFTs but keep an eye on the temps and if it goes above 60c reasonably quickly then it's probably best to go back down to your old overclock and perhaps look at turning your CPU cooler around so it blows onto the memory rather than into the graphics card (if it isn't already that is).

Associate
OP
According to the instructions, my cooler is supposed to send cool air onto the memory.The fan on my cooler is only about 1mm away, which is keeping my memory cool. Also my gfx card is a fair way under the cpu and i have a special artic cooler on my gfx card which a nice exhaust port.What do i set my memory divider too, its 166 right now.I know this opti 165 is a crap stepper, but im sure most people get at least 2.6ghz out of them. Silly question, but why do i need to up the volts to 1.55v Cheers :)

str

str

Soldato
I found a picture of your motherboard. The Freezer 64 with the fan beside the memory means it's blowing air right at the rear case fan so yeah that's perfect. Actually do you have a rear case fan installed? :)

The reason for 1.55v is simply to cause your CPU to heat up more than with the volts you're using so you can see how high it will go. It's not a dangerous voltage and you'll be able to monitor temps and if it goes above 60c then you know your cooling isn't good enough with todays weather. :)

Also if your CPU runs stable with 1.55v then you'll find out but if it fails Prime95 Small FFTs then you'll have an idea that perhaps it's futile to go beyond your current overclock at 2.3 GHz.

Just in case you didn't know, I'll say also that increasing the CPU speed without increasing the Vcore won't cause the temps to increase much at all. It's marginal anyway by comparison to a Vcore increase so if you're scared of trying 2.5 GHz because of the temps then don't worry you can go as far as you like with the CPU speed (to find it's max) with default 1.4v Vcore (or is it an even lower default?) and the temps should remain reasonably the same.

Back
Top Bottom