Need a new camera.
My A80 finally snuffed it today.

Gives me a good excuse to get a new one before my birthday next week though. :D

I have a few requirements.

Higher res than the A80 *4mp*
Longer zoom than the A80 *3x + 1.5x adaptor* 7x seems common
Would prefer it to take AA's *Got so many sets now from the A80*
Must take Compact Flash *several gigs worth*
Forgot to say - Must not be a DSLR *already got one - lent out to parents though*

So Fuji S9500, Panasonic FZ30, Samsung Pro815, Canon Powershot Pro1...

Any others I've missed worth taking a look at?

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Soldato
My brother tried quite a few of the larger zoom models, the FZ30/Fuji 9500 and Sony R1, to augment his EOS10D..

In the end he went for a KM 5D DSLR, which with the 18-70 Kit lens is the same size as the 9500, and not really that much more expensive..

Although the 9500 was quite impressive, of the bunch, it's movie mode was good, and it was fairly quick, with excellent low ISO performance and wasn't too bad at ISO800... but no image stabilisation, something the FZ30 has, but it's a little slow, and cumbersome, and the image noise is quite noticeable on low ISO..

Not sure if that helps or not!

Man of Honour
OP
Matt said:
Clearly no one cares :p

bum.gif

Demon said:
My brother tried quite a few of the larger zoom models, the FZ30/Fuji 9500 and Sony R1, to augment his EOS10D..

In the end he went for a KM 5D DSLR, which with the 18-70 Kit lens is the same size as the 9500, and not really that much more expensive..

Although the 9500 was quite impressive, of the bunch, it's movie mode was good, and it was fairly quick, with excellent low ISO performance and wasn't too bad at ISO800... but no image stabilisation, something the FZ30 has, but it's a little slow, and cumbersome, and the image noise is quite noticeable on low ISO..

Not sure if that helps or not!

Cool - gives me something else to add to the list.

Trying to avoid another DSLR - as the other half will kill me. :D

Soldato
As you've already got a DSLR, why are you looking at such large cameras? Why not get something like an Ixus that you can put in your pocket?

Man of Honour
OP
Matt said:
As you've already got a DSLR, why are you looking at such large cameras? Why not get something like an Ixus that you can put in your pocket?

Because like my ex-A80 - It's going to live in the car.

Quite often I'll go out for a drive and spot something along the way thats pretty cool and stop - take a couple of shots and drive on again.

Most recently - an Aircraft museum in Norfolk that I had no idea existed. Just spotted the nose of a Gloster Javelin sticking out through a gap in the hedge.

Was on the way somewhere so wouldn't have had my DSLR with me anyway. A80 was in the boot though.

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom