Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 2nd June 2006

Man of Honour
Bigstan said:
Beats me mate. Are they on 24/7? What kind of processors are we talking here?

I have only 9 + the occasional WU from my brother's laptop and my 24hr average is over 500 more than yours and that's with one of my X2s being o** for a few days, when I'm back up to full production, I will be about 800-900 ahead of you :confused:

Stan :)

all of them are 2.8Ghz P4 with HT and 512mb RAM apart from my main rig which is an AMD 64 X2 4400+ with 2gb ram (as per sig) :confused: should be fine

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Admiral Huddy said:
all of them are 2.8Ghz P4 with HT and 512mb RAM apart from my main rig which is an AMD 64 X2 4400+ with 2gb ram (as per sig) :confused: should be fine

Weird :confused: You should be doing a lot more than you are.

My X2 4400+ rig has almost identical spec to your's (same mobo but Corsair PC4000 instead of OCZ) and mine gets me 300-400 ppd on it's own which is about half of your total output.

You should be kicking my arse with that lot. Are they on 24/7?

Stan :)

Associate
How much would it cost to put a decent rig together that is for folding only. I'm a student, so I'm obviously not rolling in money but I do think that FAH is a good cause, and I'm interested in making a decent machine for it.

Soldato
Corran said:
How much would it cost to put a decent rig together that is for folding only. I'm a student, so I'm obviously not rolling in money but I do think that FAH is a good cause, and I'm interested in making a decent machine for it.

£250-300?

Associate
Corran do you have any spare bits and pieces, you should try and get stuff like RAM and Hard Drives second hand, any old pci gfx card will do. I think a pentium d would be the best bang for buck for folding.

Associate
I have an old athlon 2600+ rig sitting in the loft at my parents at the moment. The mother board karked it for some reason but I know that the graphics card, hard drive and cd-rw in it still work. (Graphics card was a radeon 9700, I remember when they were at the top!)

Man of Honour
Soldato
the best bang for the buck for FAH at the moment is an Intel Pentium D 805. It's dual core with 1 MiB L2 cache and it's wicked cheap:
Intel Pentium 4 805 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 2.66GHz (533FSB) - Retail (CP-116-IN) Price: £72.95 (£85.72 Including VAT at 17.5%)

They overclock like mad.

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
the best bang for the buck for FAH at the moment is an Intel Pentium D 805. It's dual core with 1 MiB L2 cache and it's wicked cheap:
Intel Pentium 4 805 Dual Core "LGA775 Smithfield" 2.66GHz (533FSB) - Retail (CP-116-IN) Price: £72.95 (£85.72 Including VAT at 17.5%)

They overclock like mad.

Does it overclock quite well on air? I intend to get a watercooled set up eventually but that will only be when my laptop really starts to show its age and I need a new gaming rig.

Soldato

I'd go for this (dualcore = higher output), if you get watercooling you might want to consider forking out another £50-60 for a better motherboard + a cheapo pci-e gfx so you can overclock.

Associate
I would go with pentium d a cheap asrock mobo but one that has ok oc abilities. You already have a hard drive and cdrw I take it? 1gb of value ram second hand or new (the price difference isnt that big), have you got a spare case, the cheapest pci gfx card will be fine just when you want to check on things and installing windows.

Associate
It would likely be for folding only. I already have this laptop and a P4 rig that can do everything else :). (The joys of getting a job when you are 16, and spending everything you earn rather than putting it in the bank :rolleyes: )

Thanks again ;) .

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
If it's for FAH only you can really start to chop away. For instance, you definitely don't need an 80 GiB Spinpoint just to run the OS and Folding.

Ok, fair enough, but its a good starting point.

Man of Honour
Soldato
money1ox.png

These parts would make for a killer overclocker. All it needs is a PSU and a hard disk.

I'll see if I can trade down on the mobo and get it all in for less than 300 quid.

Back
Top Bottom