My First Overclock

Associate
Well thanks to some help from A.N. Other on another thread have actually managed to overclock my Athlon 64 3700+ to a decent level-well decent for me.

Have got it running at 2808.7MHz with HTT at 255MHz and an 11 Multiplier and still got the memory running at 200MHz with timmings of 1T 2-3-3-6 all on stock voltages and temps at 44 cpu,32 sys and 44 pwm.

So far it has passed Memtest and Prime 95 has been running without fault for 3 hours so far.

So do you guys think thats a reasonable overclock-do you think i would be pushing it to go higher?

Thanks again to A.N. Other cause I coudln't get anywhere following any the other guides.

Associate
OP
Well I tried to push it to 260 but got the IRQ not less or equal BSOD on booting into windows so looks like it doesn't want to go any further but I'm not complaning.

str

str

Soldato
Very nice result especially at stock volts. At 2.8 Ghz you have yourself a real fast system and the reasonably tight ram timings means it'll perform well even in the synthetic benchmarks such as SuperPI 1M and for games it'll be amazing. :)

Associate
Thats the max i had out of that cpu on stock cooling, any more and it was BSOD city, so yes you shouold go further but with good cooling solution!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply guys.

Well to get these overclocks I reduced my HT Multi to 4x and I have managed to get it stable with a CPU frequency of 260 by increasing the CPU voltage from 1.40 to 1.425 and seems ok at present. Now at 2863 with same memory settings except frequenct is now at 204. Temps have hardly moved 47 cpu, 35 sys and 48 pwm.

Next question is-the guide i have says that once the CPU frequency gets above 250 then I should lower the HT Multi to 3x and keep going.

My question is whether this will reduce the performance of the system or if i should keep going with the 4x HT Multi and increase voltage to CPU if unstable?

Forgot to say that i have a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler and not stock cooler

str

str

Soldato
Yeah I read many times about it being advisable to keep the HTL speed at 1000 or less and also that it really doesn't make all that much of a performance difference when it's less than 1000. I've got my socket 754 system at HTT 333 with 3x so HTL speed is 999 but I didn't really notice any difference when it was running lower for example HTT 333 with 2.5x.

EDIT: Reworded for clarity. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well it looks my system answered my question for me anyway as I cant get into windows if I push the CPU Freq beyond 260 no matter what I change.

So I have it back at 2863 with 1.425 volts running through CPU on a 4x HT Multi and memory is now running at 204 so DDR 408 as its only designed to run at DDR400 with timmings at 1T 2-3-3-6 and seems stable enough. I'll give it a good run through with Prime over night and try a few games on it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Temps are still maxing out at cpu 47, sys 34 and pwm 47 but I will need to keep any eye on these as I am sure they will go up when I have my X1900XT running hard as well.

Here is my CPU-Z screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom