• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 gx2 not impressed.

Associate
Bought a new 7950 Gx2, installed it but had problems then resolved the problems!
Tested drivers from CD, went to play cod2 on dx9 had 200+ fps but was laggy as hell, so i tought to myself oh well it must be the drivers so i updated them,
rebooted only to find myself sitting looking at a black screen for 3 mins, rebooted again and it worked, great i thought as i loaded up cod2 on the same settings, still the same lag :mad: started to get abit stressed at this point, lowerd the graphic settings onto dx7 only to find that i have LESS fps then i did with my 6800 GS.. SOOooooo i tried the earlier drivers before the newest and no joy. Also every time i boot my comp it sits on a black screen untill i restart..

I feel as though ive just wasted £400 :(

My specs are;

Asus A8n SLi deluxe
AMD64 Athlon 4800 x2
2gb pc3200 DDR400
650w PSU

Associate
NightmareXX said:
He's already mentioned the PSU. *Hopes it isn't Qtec*

Surely if the PSU was failing, it just wouldn't work, not be really slow?

Narh, it would just slow down loads.

What you have to think is that this evey thing is dependant on the PSU and if that goes it all goes. So its worth investing in a good one imo.

Agent.

Associate
johnskey said:
Bought a new 7950 Gx2, installed it but had problems then resolved the problems!
Tested drivers from CD, went to play cod2 on dx9 had 200+ fps but was laggy as hell, so i tought to myself oh well it must be the drivers so i updated them,
rebooted only to find myself sitting looking at a black screen for 3 mins, rebooted again and it worked, great i thought as i loaded up cod2 on the same settings, still the same lag :mad: started to get abit stressed at this point, lowerd the graphic settings onto dx7 only to find that i have LESS fps then i did with my 6800 GS.. SOOooooo i tried the earlier drivers before the newest and no joy. Also every time i boot my comp it sits on a black screen untill i restart..

I feel as though ive just wasted £400 :(

My specs are;

Asus A8n SLi deluxe
AMD64 Athlon 4800 x2
2gb pc3200 DDR400
650w PSU

You may wish to look at this:

Compatible motherboards + bios versions.
http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp

Associate
johnskey said:
Also every time i boot my comp it sits on a black screen untill i restart..

My specs are;

Asus A8n SLi deluxe
AMD64 Athlon 4800 x2
2gb pc3200 DDR400
650w PSU

This has happened on my system from time to time, only after I swapped to the Deluxe motherboard.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
If a 650W PSU cannot properly supply 400W, there is a problem. Q-Tec is lying to consumers.

that's why just speaking about wattage is not really ideal!!!

P (Power / Watts) = I (Current / Amps) * V (Voltage V)

But with a Power Supply that voltage is supplied at different voltages!! (3.3V, 5V and 12V?!?)

So you can achive your Power (Wattage rating) in MANY different ways!!!

The most inportant voltage is the 12 rail. Generally you need the power supply to be able to supply towards 30A on that rail (360W).

But if a power supply can only supply 15A on the 12V rail (180W). They can still claim ther PSU to be much higher rated - by being able to supply more current on the 3.3V and 5V rails. however this extra current is generally never used, because the components that draw current from those rails generally only draw a small amount of current......

I'm not sure of the facts behind what a PSU has to be able to do in order to claim a cerating power (W) rating......but basically the conclusion is the same:

NOT ALL xxxW PSU's are the same!! Even if the quoted Watts are the same!!

Man of Honour
Soldato
div0 said:
The beauty of SI units is that all the equations will work out in the end. You can use P=IV to get power rating and no matter what wattages you get they be the same as if you calculated them with any other method. If the PSU says it's good for 29A on 12v+, then you should be able to draw 348W from that all day long without causing a failure.

Q-Tecs are utter crap and a quality retailer like OcUK should not sell them. Your product should be able to do that which you do advertise it to do.

Soldato
div0 said:

Its not rail voltages, the sum of the rail wattages do not simply add to make the PSU rating as they often share the same supply source. If added they sum to well beyond the PSU rating.

Rubbish manufacturers quote device wattages at low temperatues and peak instantaneous ranges. Reputable manufacturers quote ratings at 50C and the sustained maximum wattage. Typical PSU's derate wattage with temperature in the region of 10W/C. Roughly, for PSU's using peak, multiply the claimed wattage by 0.707 (RMS), should be nearer the real value.

For example: "Crapola" rated at 30C and peak wattage 650W. Case temp 40C

(650 x 0.707) - (10 x 10) = 360W

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom