Real rap music

Soldato
Can anyone suggest some decent rap music, preferably as far away from the commercialized scene as possible. I personally don't classify 50 cent as "music" tbh.

I've always been critical about rap music but I know absolutely nothing about it.

EDIT: please move to the music forum. Sorry :(

Soldato
Try some lupe fiasco (he featured in 'touch the sky' by kanye west, the song with pam anderson in the vid :)).

Would recommend talib kweli too.

Associate
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_rap-songs.html

Personally i like mike shenodas album (fort minor) he is the rapper dude out of linkin park and his lyrics are sweet.

Also tony yayo (although you may consider commercial as he is from Gunit) his latest album thoughts of a predicate felon was written when he went to prison, was released for 12 hours and got locked up again, so it has a lot of thought and feeling in it.

Associate
I would recommend the following few artists/bands as 'decent' rap.. which I listen to, including some hip-hop.

• Sage Francis
  • GraveDiggaz

They are the main two, I will check through my playlists later to see if there are anymore I can recommend.

;)

Soldato
Mf Doom, all the way. I'll add more later but im going to the cinema in a mo.
I promise you 20 artists.

Infact, add me to msn dude (in trust), probably easier because i can give you a taste of the music.

Last edited:
Caporegime
look for some:

Mike Shidona / Fort Minor
Jurassic 5
Lupe Fiasco
7L and Esoteric
Rise
Celph Titled
Apathy
Styles of Beyond - Ryu + Takbir
Talib Kweli

take a look at tampahiphop.com adn have a look at the artists on there and see who you like.

Also find some Akala, hes a young up and come UK rapper, hes pretty decnet aswell

Soldato
Here's some more:

one self
Yungun (with Mr Thing)
a tribe called quest
motion man
kool keith
Gangstar
skinnyman
dilated peoples
Common (formerly Common Sense)
Handsome Boy modeling School
daedelus
Ultramagnetic MC's
Anti Pop Consortium
Beans
J5
Busdriver
Deltron - 3030
Jeru The Damaja
Beatnuts
MF DOOM
DJ Vadim
krs one
pete rock & cl smooth
Pharoahe Monch
Gift Of Gab
De La Soul
Mos Def
TY
saul williams
slum village
souls of mischief
ttc

That's all i can think of at the mo.

Soldato
Tommy B said:
Are they really rare?

I really liked Go!

That was a kanye west tune with common guesting. Common himself is quite a prolific figure, you should be able to find plenty, and most of his recordings are great. Definately a guy who doesnt talk crap on his records :).

Soldato
benneh said:
That was a kanye west tune with common guesting. Common himself is quite a prolific figure, you should be able to find plenty, and most of his recordings are great. Definately a guy who doesnt talk crap on his records :).
ye he has very good albums and the lyrics are really good, none of the in da club crap, this guy is smart. and i think go is his own song, the one with kanye in is different, Common-Be is a good album and the blue covered one with loads of people on it is good, infact evryone one is good, go buy it now.
I'd also recommend De La Soul, A tribe called quest and mos def

Back
Top Bottom