DELL 2407 Arrives at OcUK!!

Soldato
Baddass said:
fair enough, it will vary i suppose from model to model, perhaps yours just has it a little worse than most. If you can get by with the help of a little paper then that is good news at least :)

:) I can live with it baddass... the TFT is that good I dont really care. Certainly not worth sending it back anyway.

Associate
Sorry guys, I had another look at the back of my 2407 tonight and realised I've made a stupid mistake. The rev A02 sticker is actually on the soundbar and not the monitor! D'oh!

Mines rev A01 after all.

nam

nam

Soldato
Jagstang said:
Sorry guys, I had another look at the back of my 2407 tonight and realised I've made a stupid mistake. The rev A02 sticker is actually on the soundbar and not the monitor! D'oh!

Mines rev A01 after all.

Soundbar - i assume you purchased the Dell matching 5.1 speakers ?

Associate
nam said:
Soundbar - i assume you purchased the Dell matching 5.1 speakers ?

No just the standard Dell soundbar.

After further comparison with my 2405 I've actually just asked if I can get my cash back or supply me with an other 2405 as originally requested. The banding on the 2407 is still quite bad at rev01 and the 2405 doesn't have any at all, add to that the inability to do 1600x1200 and the 2405 is a better screen IMO.

Paul.

Soldato
so Jag says the 2405 is better. I was debating to change my '05 to an '07. The biggest thing that was swaying me was the HD support. What do people think? hold out for another year or two while HD becomes standard?

Cheers

Panzer

Soldato
Well the 1600x1200 problem is a non-issue for me as I have nVidia gfx cards, the banding is also a non-issue with the default desktop settings so I've given up waiting and gone for one. I could've waited until reviews comparing the two are common place but I really just couldn't be bothered!

Associate
nam said:
A02 - was that a recent order , thought A02 was only released in the US/Aus ?

I've just spent 15 mins on the phone with Dell, and the gentleman I was talking to, in some monitor technical support team, told me that A01 is the latest revision of the 2407wfp... does anybody have any confirmation of somebody actually receiving or being promised an A02, given that Dell don't seem to know about it? :confused:

Associate
Rojin said:
the banding is also a non-issue with the default desktop settings

Sorry but that's not correct, I've now got 11 2407's awaiting return to Dell and they all show this banding issue, even when the image mode is set to Desktop. In fact it doesn't really change that much when you select other modes other than it bands at different points of the grad.

You may not be effected by it, but in the industry I work in it's simply not acceptable to see this level of gradient banding with a display.

Paul.

Associate
Jagstang said:
Sorry but that's not correct, I've now got 11 2407's awaiting return to Dell and they all show this banding issue, even when the image mode is set to Desktop. In fact it doesn't really change that much when you select other modes other than it bands at different points of the grad.

You may not be effected by it, but in the industry I work in it's simply not acceptable to see this level of gradient banding with a display.

Paul.

good on yah. CONSUMER POWA !

Man of Honour
Jagstang said:

Paul.

i assume you got A01 versions then? What industry do you work in?

Associate
Baddass said:
i assume you got A01 versions then? What industry do you work in?

Yes, all A01. I work for a company that produces everything from websites through to DVD/CD's and motion graphics. As all of our design work is for use on screen it's essential to see a true representation of what you're creating.

We used to buy soley apple displays but were so impressed with the 2405's we decided to buy 11 more of those instead of apple 23's as we felt the dells were superior - unfortunately we ended up with the 2407's though.

I'm sure the 2407 will end up being better than the 2405, it does show richer colours but I wouldn't buy another until they fix the banding problem.

Paul.

Soldato
Jagstang said:

Paul.

Hmmm that sucks, the pictures I've seen had shown the issue was fixed. I'm not going to be happy if mine has banding :mad:

Associate
iamgud said:
You can't make such statements without pics. :)

I assume I'd need a digi camera setup to do this properly and it's not something I'm really able to do. However I did throw a quick grad together in flash took a photo with my mobile phone.

It's a 300x300 grey - grey grad and you can see the banding quite well...

2407grad.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well I got mine today finally, its rev A01... Have to say its a very nice panel... The responce time could be a little better imo but its acceptable as i'm comparing it to a VX922. .. The colours and blacks are amazing for an LCD, very impressed.

Can anyone tell how to test for banding?

Also do I need to use VGA cable to be able to adjust contrast and change mode to 1:1 or 4:3 etc as the options are not available with DVI connected...

Associate
As written previously you cannot set 1:1 on the 2407 unless the vertical res is les than 1200, although it has been stated that this is possible with nVidia drivers. It's however unavailable with ATi radeon drivers.

Although there are various grad tests around, I actually noticed when visiting the following forum http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ . Can you see horizontal lines in the grad graffic at the top of the forum?

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom