• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to cut prices by 60% on july 23rd

Soldato
What so surprising? They are of course going to cut prices of the old generation NetBurst chips to clear their stock and make way for Conroe and its future derivatives.

You'll be able to pick up Pentium D's for less than about £90.

Associate
NathanE said:
What so surprising? They are of course going to cut prices of the old generation NetBurst chips to clear their stock and make way for Conroe and its future derivatives.

Yes we were expecting price drops, that was obvious. But not by as much as 60%.

Associate
Yeah the drops are going to be massive, and AMD chipset makers are expecting AMD to follow suit.

Im hoping to snap up a nice X2 as soon AMD drops their prices, as my 3000+ is feeling the strain.

You should be able to pick up a nice overclocking Pentium D though, at cheap enough prices to make it worth considering.

Permabanned
there is a price war coming up, share prices are dropping already because of it.

also, Intel will announce the largest lay offs in their history in the next couple of weeks, around 16,000, as well as scrapping / selling off lots of parts of the company that are not core business.

at the same time, AMD have announced a large expansion in capital spending to increase capacity by up to a factor of 4.

should be good times ahead, Intel are getting leaner again so hopefully faster cycle times & AMD will have a decent amount of capacity...

Soldato
From what I read, if you want to stay on the old Intel platfofm it's going to be cheap but I don't think AMD 939 prices can go much lower. AM2 prices might come down, like the 3500+in "today only" but then that necessitates a move to a new platform. My advice is to go for Conroe if you need to and can afford it; if not then wait for AMD's K8L, as that is going to be their major step forward in the forseeable future.

I myself will be staying with 939 for a while yet, as I believe that at the resolution I play at, extra CPU power won't make a huge amount of difference. Oh and I have a highly overclockable 3700+ on the way too.

Don't believe the hype; wait for results first.

Soldato
AMD dont have anywhere to go really - netburst pentiums are very old tech, S939 ( not even considering AM2) have some life yet

Dont honestly believe AMD will have anywhere that much of a drop myself

Soldato
OP
roadie said:
From what I read, if you want to stay on the old Intel platfofm it's going to be cheap but I don't think AMD 939 prices can go much lower.
I bought an A64 venice 3000+ for £70 oem, and an opteron 146 for £105; both have been selling for much inflated prices ever since with the recent exception of the venice which is about the same price. 6 months on and venice is still more or the same.

The top end chip is £500+, they dont make their money of a few high end chips is the volume chips which make money; so this will be coming down especially since conroe whips its behind.

Man of Honour
I think a huge price drop on P4s across the board is possible. Intel can then
i) Offer a distinctly better product than AMD (Core 2) at reasonable prices
ii) Rapidly clear stocks of a now obsolete product line (P4)
iii) Offer a reasonably good product (P4) at prices well below those of roughly comparable AMD products. Sure, P4s aren't as good as A64s, but they aren't much worse. They'd do rather well against Semprons.

So Intel can go for the enthusiast and mainstream markets with Core 2, maybe the budget market too with the bottom-end Core 2's, but also offer excellent price/performance ratios in the budget market with P4s after huge price cuts. People might buy a Core 2-compatible board, stick a cut-price P4 in it for now and have an upgrade path to Core 2 later.

Although I think it's more likely that the 60% price cut will only apply to the top of the P4 range, with lesser cuts further down.

Caporegime
right a lot of these proposed drops have happened on some cores venices -3200 67.00 :eek: last week 90 retail next 3500 venice 80.00 delivered off other site some still selling them for 120 this is retail pack 40.00 saving in a week thats y ive brought one look about theres a big pricing war all ready happening about week ago seen 4000 for 200 seen em retail for 170 do things look good just gotta look round for em.

Soldato
Jebus...

I think AMD have slashed prices by 60% also.

AMD Athlon 64 3800 + Socket939 , Venice Core, 2.4GHz , 512KB Cache, Retail.
£82.38 £96.80 inc VAT:O

Still £196 here on OCUK though :(

Back
Top Bottom