ATI Drivers.

Soldato
Hi.
Is there some trick to get the ATI Drivers to install on Ubuntu 6.06?
The guide im looking at says i need to add something to /ect/apt/sources.list, but theres nothing in the file when i gedit it from terminal?

Im asuming i need to install them, the GUI seems slightly slow with the occasional graphical glitch.

Thanks in advance all.

Soldato
OP
wush said:
That fixed it.

Unfortunatelly i cant find the ATI driver in the package manager. And i'd prefer to do it via the command line.

Anyway, how do i check if the 'Restricted Repository' is enabled in /etc//apt/sources.list?

Soldato
OP
Ive followed the guide to the letter on Ubuntu's wiki, and the system now thinks that my video card is a 'Mesa GLX Indirect'! :confused:
This guide ive used:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

I want to get it working correctly via the command line tbh, but im starting to lose patience, and im getting increasingly tempted to just use the package manager.

##edit##
nm. Got bored. Ive set package manager to start DLing the packages.

Whats the difference between the drivers there and the ones of ATI's website anyway? Is one better than the other?

Man of Honour
Soldato
The Mesa driver is reverse-engineered and fully open source. The ATi driver is written by peple who did not need to rev erse engineer it but it is closed source. The Mesa driver is probably not going to be any good at 3D rendering. ATi's Linux drivers have a long histroy of being crap though.

Soldato
OP
I set a few fglrx things to install, as well as the Control Panel package.
Restarted.
And now under apps, i have a debian menu with shed loads of programs!?
Where the heck did that come from?

So the mesa driver does mean that ive successfully installed the driver i need?

Odd that the lilo config option asks me for the root password, i put it in, but it says that its incorrect?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
The programs there are probably ones you installed with the package manager.

The Mesa driver is the one that came complied into the kernel. It is not the one you were trying to install. It should say fglrx as the driver if you've done it right.

LiLo is crap, IMHO. Grub is far more flexible and configurable. That said, I haven't a clue how to fix that problem. ;)

Soldato
OP
So all the stuff under 'debian' should be there?
Why havnt they appeared before now?

And any idea why the fglrx driver isnt installing? According to the package manager, it is installed? :confused:

According to package manager, when i search for fglrx, i have installed:
fglrx-control
fglrx-kernal-source
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23-386
xorg-driver-fglrx
xserver-xorg-driver-ati

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom