Thinking of Pentium D 805 and conroe what mobo?

Soldato
Well I was thinking of picking up a pentium D 805 to brush up on my intel skills before conroe comes along. I was wondering what motherboard would be reccomended to get the best out of both of these cpus? I have heard that the only current chipset worth getting for conroe is the 975x so it will probably have to be based on that
cheers
Scott

Associate
just bought my 805 on friday from OCUK :D and am also wondering *** board to buy with the conroe in mind as my company is getting 2 sample conroe chips very shortly which we are allowed to keep

i think the Asus P5WDE2 Premium is going to be my first choice but id like to hear other peoples thoughts (with overclocking in mind) :D

Associate
If you hadn't already bought the chip, I'd say wait until Conroe is out. The boards are bound to be revised over the next few weeks. I'll wait for whichever DFI board is being given the Oskar Wu treatment. :)

Soldato
OP
FirebarUK said:
sgoaty knows the AW8D doesn't supprt conroe and never will, he's just messin with ya.

LOL

I picked up a cheap Asus P5ND2-SLi Deluxe (£40) that should do me untill there are a better choice of conroe boards. Looks like this d805 could be my full time rig for a while as my opty 165 is not working out

Soldato
I see it here..

LGA 775 for Intel® Dual Core Pentium® XE / Pentium® D and Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D, supporting Core™ 2 Duo Desktop (Conroe), Presler and Cedar Mill processors

Soldato
I disagree - the biggest drawback is the lack of voltage adjustment on the CPU - but the 805 only needs big volts to get the last 200-300MHz out of it. Most will do 3.3-3.5GHz on stock volts and as the FSB is under 200 at that, then the single channel memory is not such an issue as you can run DDR2 stuff at much tighter timings.

And it's only £33+VAT so the price is definitely right.

Soldato
OP
WJA96 said:
I disagree - the biggest drawback is the lack of voltage adjustment on the CPU - but the 805 only needs big volts to get the last 200-300MHz out of it. Most will do 3.3-3.5GHz on stock volts and as the FSB is under 200 at that, then the single channel memory is not such an issue as you can run DDR2 stuff at much tighter timings.

And it's only £33+VAT so the price is definitely right.

I think the clocking issue was more a problem on conroe mate

Soldato
OP
WJA96 said:
No-one here has yet seen a conroe, let alone a decent clocking conroe motherboard, so it still seems a valid statement.

Ok how about this then mate I bet you £10 this board cant overclock a conroe better than a dfi/abit when they comes out. Not saying its a bad board its just not a clockers board and never will be thats why asrock arent called asus

Soldato
I take your point completely - but he wants a board now that will work with an 805 and Conroe. I bet he'll get a 500-700MHz increase in FSB clock at stock volts with this motherboard and he has a farr chance of getting a moderate to decent clock out of his Conroe too. And at £125 for the 805/775TWINS pair, they're pretty much disposable in terms of depreciation.

And there is no guarantee that Intel will not 'hobble' the new motherboards like they did with the 915 and 925 chipsets where anything more than a 10% overclock just failed to boot.

It wasn't until 925XE that most manufacturers found a way to overcome the PCIe ratio issue that Intel had built in to stop people overclocking the cheaper units and force them to buy the more expensive one for higher clock speeds.

Anyway - I think I've probably got to the point where I'm blathering, so I'll stop :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom