just baught a new laptop good choice?

Soldato
just bought a new laptop good choice?

sry i am totaly behind on the computer thing now so i realy dont know whats what but i just baught a new laptop off the net just looking for an opinion on it and what to expect in terms of gaming performance

specs are

15.4" X-Brite Widescreen
Intel Pentium M Dual Core T2500 2.0GHz Processor
2048MB DDR2 667MHz Memory
100GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
ATI M54 128MB PCI Express High Performance Graphics with DVI
7.1 Azalia High Definition Audio

thanx very much

a very tired Daz

Last edited:
Soldato
DaZzZa said:
anyone shed any light on it please the kind of games that can be played/detail is it a half decent gaming laptop?

I can play Call of Duty 2 on mine very well and its just a 1.6 M, 512mb, GeForce Go 6200.

Depends what kind of ridiculous graphics you are used to

Permabanned
Lagmeister said:
Isnt the M54 basically an x1400? If so you wont be playing new games on high, thats for sure.
isnt that quite obvious from the model number, the x1400 is not going to be anyware near as powerfull as a higher end graphics card such as an x1900 which dont generly get used in laptops as they consume so much power

Associate
bbreezeuk said:
isnt that quite obvious from the model number, the x1400 is not going to be anyware near as powerfull as a higher end graphics card such as an x1900 which dont generly get used in laptops as they consume so much power

Thats not exactly what Im saying, the x1400 is an ok card, its not a powerhouse by any means and as far as I know we are still waiting on a mobility x1900, though there is a mobility x1800 up and about. The x1400 is basically an overclocked x1300 from what I gather and he asked about gaming performance, so I just posted what I have heard of the mobility x1400, it seems to be the weak link the laptop with the t2500 CPU and 2GB of ram.

Soldato
Seems quite a decent laptop - with 2 gig of RAM as well. That should play games fairly nicely, if not at max res and settings.

BTW ... while I'm in grammar Nazi mode ... bought!

Soldato
OP
would it be worth asking for an upgrade to an x1600 mobility? i dont wanna spend a mega amount, should be a better upgrade going from 4 to 12 pipelines

as the laptop stands i am paying £850 to me that isnt too bad i am trying to keep it under 1k

thanx for the help guys

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
You've got one big hand, link :p. Still not many though.

Wow a lot more than i realised, but still a bit on the pointless side.

Lets say you buy a £1500 laptop with a mobility X1800XT, by the time its slow enough to justify upgrading it, the new card will be twice as powerful, run twice as hot and suck up twice as much juice. Plus the CPU and chipset will be inadequate by then anyway.

I never did see the point in MXM, cant really think of a time when it would be useful, bad move by nVidia i would say and a worse move for ATI to buy into it.

Soldato
depends on how much the cards go for. this laptop I am on now would be fine. Could just do with a little more gpu juice. If it was an easy swap from the 6800go to a 7900go it would be worth while.

However currently it is cheaper to sell and buy a new one.

Back
Top Bottom