Summer is here.....

Soldato
And my gcse's have started, i have 2 weeks of solid exams.

I need to be able to concentrate in my room without the distraction of fans, heat and humming.
Its also worrying how much heat my comps are putting out, for the first time my radiators have been hot or warm and my presler has had to go from 4.5 to 4.1 due to the intense heat, my x2 locked up for the first time in a few months as well due to the massive rise in temps, 3 modern high clocked comps at full bore must now stop for 2-3 weeks.

I might add, that though my room should be the coolest in the house, it is one of the hottest as well.

Sorry guys for the suspension of fah, my comps are all set to finnish the last wu they are working on but will be back on with considerably more power than i do now after my exams. :)

As a side note, good luck to anyone who has an exam comming up as well. :)

lzb.

Soldato
Sorry to hear that :( I have already had to make my first sacrifice this summer; my beer fridge has been turned off :eek: With the windows open all day this just about keeps temps under control. I actually find it easier to concentrate/sleep with my computers on than with them off, replaces the noise of people on the street/wandering around the house with a constant whine which I can deal with better. I guess everyone is different though.

Good luck in your exams!

Associate
Psstt... don't tell anyone but I'm planning a secret rollout of FAH to the entire school network on book return day :D
Ok, in my dreams, but meh. Imagine all that Foldy power though, would take first place easily I reckon.

/Goes and cries at the thought of it all going to waste :(

Soldato
null said:
rollout of FAH to the entire school network
I've often thought that about our school network. All thos pcs on and doing nothing - complete waste of energy. I'd rather they consumed a few watts more each and did something like fold. Never got around to talking to the IT guy about it though.

Good luck with the GCSEs. Had those last year :p It gets much better after that :)

Associate
Good luck with the GCSE's man. I remember doing those, so many different subjects in one go is a pain. At least with A-levels its only 4 subjects (or it was for me). Same amout of exams tho :mad: . I don't get why they can't do exams on a termly basis rather than cramming them all into summer.

Associate
joeyjojo said:
I've often thought that about our school network. All thos pcs on and doing nothing - complete waste of energy. I'd rather they consumed a few watts more each and did something like fold. Never got around to talking to the IT guy about it though.

Good luck with the GCSEs. Had those last year :p It gets much better after that :)

Well, if either of you do speak to the IT people at your places, and they want proof that it doesnt cause any problems, point them in my direction and i'd be happy to help you out.

How many machines do you guys have at your places?

Soldato
OP
Corran said:
Good luck with the GCSE's man. I remember doing those, so many different subjects in one go is a pain. At least with A-levels its only 4 subjects (or it was for me). Same amout of exams tho :mad: . I don't get why they can't do exams on a termly basis rather than cramming them all into summer.

agreed, its much smarter to do it like that, i have to cram 5 years worth of facts for 8 subjects :(

Associate
lay-z-boy said:
agreed, its much smarter to do it like that, i have to cram 5 years worth of facts for 8 subjects :(

I'm finding University a heck of a lot easier just because all the exams are spread out. I have always crammed for exams not learnt it over a long period of time (because I am lazy) so even though the work is harder there is actually less to learn in one go at the moment :D.

Associate
lay-z-boy said:
I count 10 :eek:

Whitestar said:
How many machines do you guys have at your places?
Hard to say really. Here's a guestimate (listing my working so lay-z-boy can comment/improve - we're at the same school)
Lancaster Lab ~ 30
Victoria Lab ~ 30
Lancaster Library ~ 4
D&T ~ 10
Classrooms ~ 60? Say 10 per block, and 6 blocks?
Physics have more than one in one room, add ~ 5 for that
Then there's Orme House, wild guess ~ 20 (haven't been in the building since I left 6 years ago)

That totals 159. I've only counted the modern ones, and they are all Prescott 2.8s I think. Like I said it's very hard to say since I only had lessons in half of the place. lay-z-boy, improvements?

However the chances of persuading them to get crunching are about 1 in a million. Think of the cost due to electricity, the increased heat in the labs, the load on the internet connection, the initial installation effort etc. And absolutely no incentive unless one of the admins has an interest in FAH. And even if they did, what's stopping them from deciding to crunch for another team or team 0 :eek:

:(

Soldato
OP
null said:

aye, but i would say about 25 comps per lab

and dont forget the 4 rooms of server stuff :eek:

but we would need a deicated power station for the schools mains power.

*edit* the heat would be a serious problem, 2 comps in my room heat it up by 10c, imagine 25-30 :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Before xmas when I was working in a school and during the final push I rolled out seti classic to about 150 dell 2.8 p4's. After running for a night I'd walk into a computer lab and it would be like a sauna, literally. I had to write a batch script and run it as a scheduled task to start and stop the service on all the machines periodically throughout the day to keep the temperatures under control. And that was at winter time. If I didn't have an interest, it wouldn't have been worth the extra effort.

Associate
I reckon you'd need a high end A/C unit for every 10 PC's in a room in this weather to keep the room at a temperature that you could work in.

I have an Athlon (1200mhz) and an Athlon XP (1800mhz) and an Athlon 64 (1800mhz) and they produce enough heat to make an 8000 BTU air conditioner in a very small room seem like it's doing nothing during the day.

Soldato
Thank heavans for AC. It is going to hit 98F here today :cool:

I will be on/in the river boating and splashing around while my crunchers are codled and crunching in relatively cool 70F.

:)

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom