tomtom 910

Associate
just purchased one of these...............
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I keep getting the error

"waiting for a valid gps signal"

Whats going on????

do I need to configue something?

do I need to register it?

Any ideas people? :mad:

Many thanks :mad: :mad:

Soldato
Fluffy Bunny said:
just purchased one of these...............
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I keep getting the error

"waiting for a valid gps signal"

Whats going on????

do I need to configue something?

do I need to register it?

Any ideas people? :mad:

Many thanks :mad: :mad:

just to check...you're NOT inside are you? go out and drive for about 10 minutes and if it STIL hasnt picked it up, then you have a problem.

Tom.

Suspended
Is the TomTom 910 an all in one unit?

It needs to be able to see the sky obviously so make sure its connected to your windscreen and in a good location. Also make sure the location where you are setting it up isn't very woody or anything obstructing.

The GPS unit takes a while to setup 1st time I thought as it needed to locate itself.

Suspended
POB said:
Also some cars have fancy windscreens that can block the signels.

Yeah heated windscreens are ment to cause problems. So if your front one is heated then you may have to by a gps ariel adpater. Sure you can get them. Somehow put an ariel on the outside of the car or not 100% but I'm sure that I've herd that behind the mirror on a heated windscreen is okay. But being an all in one and all that won't help you.

Try setting it up outside.

Soldato
I have a TomTom One and i get a signal in under 10 secs, it also works in my house with no line of sight.

Also works in the Fiesta with its heated front screen.

Funnily enough a m8 was over who deals with Tomtoms and he said the 910 took 25mins to get a sync, tried another untit and was the same - awaiting to hear from tomtom to see if its normal - obv strange it did it on 2 units.

Soldato
rG-tom said:
people say that buy my mondeo's heated front screen gives me no problems?

Tom.

The Focus screen stopped my TomTom working - it took me about a week to figure out what was going wrong.

Associate
As above I believe they can take ages the first time, I left mine in the garden for 20mins or so the first time. GO300

Associate
OP
went for a drive and 47 mins later came on...................
thanks guys.
Now have an other problem ......I installed some dvd playing software and being stupid I changed the firmware to 5.2.............it will not boot up now. I have tried to find firmware 6 and to failed. I hope its not broke.......god no.
So has any one got the latest firmware or know where I can get it from?

Please help as my wife will cut me up into little pieces

Soldato
rG-tom said:
people say that buy my mondeo's heated front screen gives me no problems?

Tom.

I have a Focus with a heated screen. It does make the signal VERY poor and intermittent, until I moved it from the centre of the dash to the extreme right where the filaments stop, it gets full signal there.

You may not have done the same thing but some people wonder what all the fuss is about without realising they've placed the unit avoiding the filaments whilst others struggle for ages trying to get it to work with it in the centre. :)

No idea what the filament arrangement is or if the same thing works with other cars though. Only speaking for my Focus.

Permabanned
At least 3 satellites need to be seen by TomTom to obtain a signal. As has been said, drive around on slow open roads for a good 10-15mins to pick up the 'lites, although in this weather it shouldnt take too long. Do not drive fast or on motorways as TomTom cannot lock on to a satellite signal at greater than 70mph. It can buffer a signal and track a signal at these speeds however, but trying to initialise it will take ages (at speed).

Soldato
My Tomtom 510 (which has the same software and GPS receiver as the 910) picks up a signal literally in 5 seconds. If it's indoors it can take about a 40 seconds.

Something is seriously wrong if it's not finding a signal after 2 minutes IMO.

Though it sounds like you've broken it now by changing to the v5 software which wasn't designed for the new 510/710/910 models.

Back
Top Bottom