Desk Lighting.

Associate
This part of the forum seemed the most relavent place to post this lol.

I've seen a few pics of peoples set-ups on the forum and a canny few people have, what it looks like to me, desktop neons /cathodes? the nice neon effect lighting shining from behind their desks etc.

I was woundering, are these "desktop neons" ( I don't know what they're called or what they are infact lol ) pluged into the mains, or have people just extended some cable outside their case and behind their desk ?

I've searched google, but had no luck finding a mains powered type of little neons.

Could any one help me out, they look cool and i'd like to fit 1 or 2 behind my desk :)

Thanks all :p

Soldato
Associate
OP
Cool thanks :D

That's a great idea, didn't know about PCI molex things :p

I have just one more question. I heard that either cathode lights or neons, i can't remember what type... but i heard that one type of fluresent light can give you skin cancer? Is this true, and if so is it neons or cathode? or somthing completely different :D

Soldato
I havent got a light at the back of my desk, I have however mounted a light behind an art piece on the wall behind my computer. For that I simply connected the cold cathode to the inverter and switch and glued them all to the back of the mdf board. I then made an extension lead out of some spare cable and hooked it up to my server which is always on. It was quite easy to do, and im pleased with the result. Could do with being a bit brighter though.

p1010036b6hl.jpg

Sorry about poor image quality.

Associate
OP
Hey messiah, that looks great! :D

I was reading the thread about your project earlier, realy nice work there ;)

The brightness of those lights are fine from what i can see, adds a nice effect when it's dark :)

Btw, can you use any type of cable to make an extension? and what would be the best type to use?

Soldato
I also used speaker wire to extend the wire, then i put some heat shrink over the wires to make it safe. I built a shelf to put my monitor on then put a white cathode under the shelf to light up my keyboard at night. I also purchased a 3 way room light switch in satin black that i attached to my desk to turn the light on and off. It works a treat and cost about £10 total, and i have a decent desk light that is powered by my pc via a rear pci molex.

img04988ge.jpg

Mark

Associate
OP
Hey mark's :p

That PCI external power bracket is exactly what i need!

I've looked around for one and have only came accross one site that sells them, and they're out of stock, i've also tryed ebay, but there's none on there either heh :rolleyes:

no asking for competitors please

Cheers

NachT!

Soldato
NachT said:

I've looked around for one and have only came accross one site that sells them, and they're out of stock, i've also tryed ebay, but there's none on there either heh :rolleyes:

<snip>

Cheers

NachT!

Im afraid he wouldnt be able to give you that link, as it would most likely be classed as a competitor. Sorry. Oh, and we do actually have people from all over the world on here. :)

Associate
messiah khan said:
I havent got a light at the back of my desk, I have however mounted a light behind an art piece on the wall behind my computer. For that I simply connected the cold cathode to the inverter and switch and glued them all to the back of the mdf board. I then made an extension lead out of some spare cable and hooked it up to my server which is always on. It was quite easy to do, and im pleased with the result. Could do with being a bit brighter though.

Sorry about poor image quality.

Yep that looks cool! I see so many things that people do with there rig and how they are set up that i just have to copy some ideas (with my own twist of course :p )

Dont know about it needing to be brighter tbh, less is more n all that ;) Or is that just what the mrs tells me to keep me quiet :confused:

Soldato
I had this a while ago - just stuck 2x Cold Cathodes on the back of the monitor and ran cables to the computer. My walls are a deep blue too so it reflects off and is quite bright. Looks cool in the dark ;) :D

Excuse the mess..

Soldato
I'm liking that Six6siX :) . mrdbristol thats exactly what i have but mine is black, i was going to make my own with a blank pci bracket and some molexs but for about £5 i couldn't be bothered. The next thing I'm going to do is hook some 4" cathodes up in my cupboard and put some kind of switch on so that they come on when the door is opened, like a fridge.

Mark

Man of Honour
NachT said:

<snip>

Cheers

NachT!

Sorry , can't supply a link - against forum rules / Competitor talk.

I don't think i break any rules if i tell you what its called ( Mod's please delete if i'm wrong);

A "BACKY" made by "AC RYAN"

Google away !

Cheers,

Mark

Permabanned
mrdbristol said:

I run one of these out the back of my case.

Usefull for fans and external lighting.

Cheers,

Mark

Shame you can't get them from ocuk, will do a product suggestion with this.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a shop forum guys, you can't ask where to buy PC related kit from.

Asking what the product is called or who makes it is fine; unless it is a direct competitor.

Asking where to purchase said product is against the rules. Easy enough to follow really! :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the product name, got it ok it's a great lil gadget :D

I do think OCUK would sell a lot of those if they had them.

About the skin cancer question i ast earlier on, are you guys posative no neon/cathode/UV lights can give you skin cancer or whatnot? I'v seen a UV light with twice as much power than standard UV case lights, wont this effect you?

I ask because, were i am going to put one of these would be directly shining onto my skin ( under my desk, to glow up the keyboard shelf )

Cheers!

NachT

Back
Top Bottom