VTEC just kicked in yo!

Don
JamesRJ said:

insightful,

what other monosyllabic wonders can you come up with :D

In case my intentions were clouded to you, if you are actually going to accuse me of trolling how about you actually read the thread - realise I am capable of retorting with words of more than one syllable and then come back with something more insightful than "troll :rolleyes:"

Soldato
Dogbreath said:
Only if you are using 8500RPM+ all the time. Driven sensibly they should return better mileage than an equivalent turbocharged engine. My B18 engined car will return almost 40mpg driven sedately. My best ever mileage on the MR2 was 29mpg and that was not just sedate driving but full on granny mode, I simply couldn't get it any better.
You couldnt of been trying hard as I got 400miles out a tank of mine. :D

Associate
I have read the thread in full and found it quite interesting until Will started posting.
If Will doesnt like vtec then fine but then for him to start telling everyone who like it to 'wake up and smell the coffee' :(
Its great to have an opinion but dont expect everyone to have the same one.

Soldato
Will Gill said:
insightful,

what other monosyllabic wonders can you come up with :D

In case my intentions were clouded to you, if you are actually going to accuse me of trolling how about you actually read the thread - realise I am capable of retorting with words of more than one syllable and then come back with something more insightful than "troll :rolleyes:"

Whereas I don't necessarily agree with you, I respect your opinion. However the way you post has an overbearing arrogance about it. Theres having an opinion and theres rubbing it in peoples faces like you have done in this thread. You have contributed well in this thread but in my opinion your arrogance wipes this out.

Will Gill said:
you did well to back down, given the subject I would have done the same

If that isn't an outstanding display of arrogance then i'll hump a turbocharger right here and now.

I just don't want your appearance of arrogance to detract from the very good parts of your posts, you have a lot to offer.

Associate
In my recent search for a new car I test drove a Corolla T-Sport powered by the 189bhp 1.8 VVTI engine. In "lift" it was amusing and rapid but out of that zone it was almost like driving half throttle. What is the point in this? Even mated to the six speed box it became tiresome midway through the test drive and I aborted the idea of the car. Horses for courses etc but I just cannot get my head around the concept.

Associate
Oracle said:
I'm with Fox on this one. For a 200bhp car the CTR is painfully normal up until around 6k rpm. Then it shifts, then its all over! Change up (like fox said) and off you go again.

That can only be said for first gear really (and i dont particularly agree strongly, as like any car the revs build fast in 1st)
the gear ratios are beautifully set up to drop from the rev limiter (well, a smidge below) back to 5800rpm so if you get it right it stays in VTEC YO from about 15mph upto 147mph....what more is there to say?

Soldato
Simon said:
An NA engine with 200hp would not idle and be pants low down.

Also a Vtec engine, like what eidilons power graph shows, has a smooth flat torque curve. No sudden rush of power, tend to rise near the end of the rev range as this is where you want the power when hooning it in a car with short gearing

Oh, I see, he means a highly tuned na engine. Sorry, I didn't get the significance of "200hp". Yes, it probably will be gutless low down with a poor idle.

I was under the impression (because of all the "when VTEC kicks in" comments we seem to get) that there was a discernable improvement in power, similar to coming on boost. If there is no "turbo style" rush of power to VTEC, then I'll shut up, but then I'll still query everyone who says "it's no fun until VTEC comes on!" :)

Back
Top Bottom