Problem with memory

Associate
marcanthony said:
Ok ive just popped round to my friends and got his disk and it didn't even ask to press any key to boot from disk, just went straight through to windows :mad:

Maybe the BIOS is being retarded and is getting confused with the two cd drives (why have you got two anyway?) Disconnect one of them and use the one you used in the past to install windows. Do that, then make sure the "first boot device" in the BIOS is set to the CD-ROM. Should work.

Associate
OP
yikes its one bloody thing after another with this PC!!

Disconnecting the 2nd CD rom worked. It asked me to press any button to boot from the cd, which i did and it put me into setup. Yay

Then...

Blue screen, says at the bottom press f6 to install sata drivers, press f2 to do something else then it goes through installing drivers i think. It then grinds to a halt!

Tells me there are no hard drives installed in my computer, press f3 to quit! I have 2 x 250Gb hard drives in my computer which are working fine.

Am i missing something really simple here? why wont it work

cheers for your help explicit, you have been a life saver so far

marc

Associate
marcanthony said:
yikes its one bloody thing after another with this PC!!

Disconnecting the 2nd CD rom worked. It asked me to press any button to boot from the cd, which i did and it put me into setup. Yay

Nice! :D

marcanthony said:

Here we go again...
:)D)

marcanthony said:
Blue screen, says at the bottom press f6 to install sata drivers, press f2 to do something else then it goes through installing drivers i think. It then grinds to a halt!

Tells me there are no hard drives installed in my computer, press f3 to quit! I have 2 x 250Gb hard drives in my computer which are working fine.

Am i missing something really simple here? why wont it work

cheers for your help explicit, you have been a life saver so far

marc

Ah, the simple bit. I presume they are SATA drives? You'll need to hit F6 to install the SATA drivers (should be on a floppy disk that came with the mobo). If you can't find them, get them here from the Gigabyte website.

Let me know how it goes, hope you don't find another problem along the way :D

Associate
OP
This is getting very annoying now!

I found the SATA drivers, they were on a floppy disk that came with the MOBO.

I booted up again like normal and it booted from the cd, went into setup and said at the bottom press f6 to install SATA drivers like it did before, so i press f6 but nothing happens, it then goes on to say press f2 for whatever and goes all the way through to where it did before with the following message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.

Make sure hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

What on earth is wrong with it. Why does it do noting when i press f6 in setup when it asks. Grrrrr

Any more ideas guys, much appreciated

marc

Associate
marcanthony said:

Then make sure RAID is disabled in the BIOS and try the latest drivers from the Gigabyte site (make sure you select the Windows XP drivers). Depending on what sata ports you used (there's two different types) download either the nVidia drivers or the Silicon ones. If you used the sata ports in the middle of the mobo next to the AGP slot, then you'll need the nVidia drivers. If you used the sata ports on the outside edge of the mobo, then you'll need the Silicon drivers. Look at your user manual if you're still unclear (available online too).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah i use the SATA ports on the outside of the MOBO.

I dont understand why its being problematic as when i first built the PC windows installed easily, I managed it without any problems or need for help

I will try the drives tho, cheers again explicit

I'll owe u a pint after this

marc

Associate
OP
Explicit, Im back!!

and its another problem.

I can now get to where i press f6 to install SATA drivers, i then get a screen coming up telling me to enter the floppy with the drivers on. I enter the floppy and press enter and it gives me 2 selections to choose from:

one saying blah blah SATA windows XP 2003 and another saying blah blah windows NT 4.0.

So naturally i choose the XP 2003 one, it then reads from the floppy and give me the following error (exactly as it says cos i wrote it down):

File si3112.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 2108 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

I then went into windows to look at what this file is, and there is no such file on the D: drive (the CD rom), there isnt even a folder called 'xpclient'

Ive had a quick look on google too but cant find any answers

any ideas

marc

Associate
hello mate

si3112.sys is supposed to be on the floppy disk itself. I think you may have downloaded the wrong drivers or didn't install them on the floppy properly.

This is the exact file you need (just the sata driver, not the raid driver)
http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_sata_silicon_3x12_bootdisk.exe

Download that .exe file. Format the floppy disk. Then execute the file and it will copy all the files across to the floppy.

Are you sure you haven't got the two hard drives in RAID? Disconnect the second one just keep confusion to a minimum, then connect it back up when windows is installed.

Associate
OP
Ive checked in BIOS and there is no raid set up, but i disconnected the 2nd HDD just in case, i ran the link u sent me onto a floppy and went through the windows setup again but i get the same error.

any ideas what im doing wrong?

marc

Associate
That's strange, surely the latest drivers off the Gigabyte website should be working.

Try this. Move the hard drive to the nVidia sata port in the middle of the mobo instead of using the Silicon port. Once you've done that, use the following nVidia sata drivers. click

The other thing you could try is to slipstream SP2 to your Windows XP CD. For some people, this sorts everything out and you may not even need the sata drivers after doing this.

Never buy Gigabyte motherboards :p

Back
Top Bottom