• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

best CPU for game - Fx57 or Fx60 ?

Associate
which is the best for games (FPS shooters etc), has anyone actually compared the two or seen some good benchmark results ?

Fx57 runs at 2.8Ghz and the Fx60 runs at 2.6Ghz which is why im not sure.

Also how easy is it to overclock the Fx60 on air coolers ?

thanks.

Soldato
I would say fx57, as it could probably do 3.1Ghz on stock air which may more than make up for a dualcore at e.g. 2.8Ghz.

Though when doing stuff in Windows & playing a game, then a singlecore will be more affected.

Unless you can come by one of the above chips on the cheap then I'd wait a little while for Conroa and see how good they are first.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have the money for either then you're a lucky guy. For the moment, the FX57 is the best for gaming, purely because it has a faster clock speed and games are not yet able to take advantage of dual-core. But you'd be mad not to get an FX60 - for general use dual core is the way forward and games will also soon be dual-threaded.

Personally, I'd save a lot of money and get an Opteron 170 and overclock it to FX60 speed. Or even better - wait for Conroe. :)

Associate
OP
price is not an issue, I already have an Fx57 and I have a chance to change to an Fx60. I know for general windows usage an Fx60 will be better but I want pure speed for games only - with nothing else running in the background.

My Fx57 runs fine and with OK temps at 2.9GHz and will run at 3GHz with a better heatsink/fan. I asume that if I could get an Fx60 to run at 3Ghz it will be better than the Fx57, but I dont want to go to water or extreme cooling.

Last edited:
Associate
I will be keeping my FX57 for a while , just upgrading my Card or Monitor , i not upgrading CPU , no need too , the games on pc are on the slide , PS3 will be a good replacement

Associate
Unless you are playing one of a handful of dual-core optimised games and/or you get an FX60 that clocks better than your clocked FX57, then the FX57 is the best for gaming.

If money was no object, as a gamer, I would go for the FX57 without a doubt.

Caporegime
sativa said:
Unless you are playing one of a handful of dual-core optimised games and/or you get an FX60 that clocks better than your clocked FX57, then the FX57 is the best for gaming.

If money was no object, as a gamer, I would go for the FX57 without a doubt.

why?

My opty is faster and costs less.
2x 2.8ghz over a single core

Associate
FX57 is a waste of money at the moment. I no they are dragging dual core implementation out, but it will happen. The FX does not have the life span left to justifie £600. Get a 3800 and OC it. Better still just get a dual core processor.

EDIT: oops yopu already have an FX57, just keep it lol

Caporegime
for the sake of the argument

the FX57

but you'd be mad to spend that ammount of money on a CPU now with conroe just on the horizon.

or alternatively get the 4000+ at 2.4 and overclock it

then used the money saved to put towards a conroe motherboard / CPU a bit later in the year when prices have settled.

Associate
Just keep your FX57, it's still got life in it for a while. Upgrade when Conroe hits the shelves (you can certainly switch to a Conroe-based rig for the price of that FX60 that you're considering).

Soldato
Mr Spoon said:
hmm but then I'd need a new motherboard and probably memory, plus at the moment I have a chance to change to an Fx60 for not much money.

Sell what you have now covers mem, mobo and CPU and gets you some money.

Sell your FX-57 now (or your whole PC) as it will drop a lot when AMD cut there prices with Conroe.

CR.

Back
Top Bottom