SOBroadband / Telabria WiMAX Internet

Associate
Hi,

I remember a discussion thread a while back about the above isp and that a few people were going to be trying them out, ive just ordered the 3mbit/512k package and was wondering if those people actually ever did make an order.

Ive had it on authority from a fair few people that it performs great for them, but was just wondering what you more technicaly minded people concluded.

Will be paying 39.98 for 3mbit/512k broadband, and telephone line with unlimited day/evening calls to both local and national numbers!

Cheers

K

Associate
I did order it but despite living in between 2 of their transmitters the installer could not pick up a signal so it was cancelled. My house is in a "natural dip" apparently. This is dissapointing as the kit they use states it does not require LOS :(
On a separeate note there is a chance I could be working for them soon.

Associate
OP
I live at the top of a hill that looks directly down onto Ridham dock which is where i believe a transmitter resides? Im at the top of Barton Hill Drive in Minster btw...

Associate
OP
Ping/latency is pretty much the same as your normal adsl connection:

bbc.co.uk
Ping statistics for 212.58.224.115:
Packets: Sent = 11, Received = 11, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 27ms

jolt.co.uk
Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 12, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 29ms

Associate
iwrox said:
I live at the top of a hill that looks directly down onto Ridham dock which is where i believe a transmitter resides? Im at the top of Barton Hill Drive in Minster btw...

I live in between Ridham Dock and the other transmitter on the roof of the council offices. They did pick up a faint signal from the offices but not enough to fully operate the service. Its very frustrating as I know of another person 500M from me and they get a great signal.

Soldato
Old thread but highly relevant.

Been with sobroadband about 7 weeks now and here is my experience.

1st few days amazing speed downloading at about 400k's.
4th day in start to get bad drops to about 150k's
2nd week my connection is reduced to a 1mb wanabe service (about 75k's)
3rd week up to today it has been very bad with download speeds of 10-55k's and upload of just 5-40k's.

I opened a support ticket on the 4th day of having the service and 6 weeks later they have still not fixed the problems..........

They changed my unit last week which made the problem slightly worse. They are crediting my account anything that is charged to be fair but it seems a bit flakey this wireless malarky.

What I don't get is how it was super fast for the first few days and now its complete poo.

Associate
OP
Haha i was the same as you can see by the original thread, i sang their praises. However i ditched them 2 months after signing up due to the problems you yourself are now having.

Ive been sat happily on 8mbit dsl max ever since :)

Back
Top Bottom