British Grand Prix 2006

Soldato
Finally almost finished sorting thru my photos from this years F1 BGP, I shot 3000ish in total, after my first scan ive got 1000 that im initially happy with.

I have spent the last 3 days checking, sorting and now processing some of the shots, ive wittled it down to a final 200 that im going to get printed, and im in the process of uploading them into my Gallery, my eyes have stopped working properly with looking at the screen all week, so ive stopped at 47.

Comments and criticism more then welcome, all should contain Exif info, more or less all taken with a 1dmkII, 100-400L and 580EX for the close ups.

Gallery Here

Sneak preview...

DC meeting.

Montoya Sideways action. (taken with 1.4x extender on 100-400@400)

Jenson Blowup. :(

Last edited:
Looking good so far mate. I take it from the sky diving picture you were there from Friday till Sunday (as were I)

I didnt take many shots this year at all. I took so many last year that I gave up going through them.

Formula 1 is by far one of my fave sports and yet the pictures I get from F1 really do nothing for me. Unless I can use a 1D with a long prime to get some very close and very clear cockpit shots.

Formula 1 is all about great location for a photographers point of view. I really wanted to get close onto club but me and my mates were set up at Stowe.

Did you see the support race! How intense was that! :p

Soldato
OP
I was there from Thursday to Sunday and have to agree, Im also at the point where this years shots arent an improvement on last years, so im planning using a prime for my next Silverstone outting. I was quite unimpressed with most of my 100-400L +1.4x TC shots and im now trying to decided which prime will be best for me.

The 400mm DO IS is looking very interesting due to its light weight and compact size, but I feel its too much of a compromise, and I believe the 300mm F2.8 IS is a much better lense, and from everything Ive read gives better quality even with the 1.4x then the 400mm DO IS does. My only concern is that the 300mm F2.8 IS is possibly a little on the short side from the grandstand. :confused: Who do I have to kill to get a photographers/media pass at Silverstone. :(

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Nice shots and its good to finally see some from Silverstone. As for taking photos at a Grand Prix...really really tough unfortunately.

The only saving grace is the test days!

DreederOcUK said:
I was there from Thursday to Sunday and have to agree, Im also at the point where this years shots arent an improvement on last years, so im planning using a prime for my next Silverstone outting. I was quite unimpressed with most of my 100-400L +1.4x TC shots and im now trying to decided which prime will be best for me.

The 400mm DO IS is looking very interesting due to its light weight and compact size, but I feel its too much of a compromise, and I believe the 300mm F2.8 IS is a much better lense, and from everything Ive read gives better quality even with the 1.4x then the 400mm DO IS does. My only concern is that the 300mm F2.8 IS is possibly a little on the short side from the grandstand. :confused: Who do I have to kill to get a photographers/media pass at Silverstone. :(
We are in exactly the same boat. I WAS suppose to be taking a prime this year but the whole deposit thing screwed me out of that idea.

I dunno who to kill to get one but if I find that person, they will find them selfs on the recieving end of a fatal death :p

Soldato
Dreeder, great shots so far! :)

I use the Sigma 120-300 2.8 with a 1.4tc a lot at Silverstone, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I have used it in the grandstand just by the pit entrance, and gotten some good captures.

Like Tom, I think the Testing days are where it's at for photography. Much less atmosphere etc of course.

I too would kill for a press pass for Silverstone :(

Soldato
Media accreditation for Silverstone is one thing but accreditation for an F1 event is something completely different.
The only chance is to work for a Sports Photography agency with a proven track record in F1 i.e. Sutton Motorsport images.

Back
Top Bottom