HELP ME WITH MY BOOTUP TIME! pls

Associate
Well my spec is as the sig says. My the drive i bootup with is a seagate 80gb sata-ii running at sata-ii speeds

My oc'd 146 opty is 3.0ghz stable, ive got a reasonably fresh install of windows and my ram is running as follows
memoryoc4bn.jpg

My hard drive bench:
hdtechseagatejpeg4ak.jpg

In msconfig ive got only two things in the startup which is CTFMON and atitray.

But it takes me 01min 07secs to boot up! Thats not including bios screen or login, thats just from when i see the windows logo to when i see the cursor!

i swear my old p4 3.2 booted quicker! Ive run bootvis plenty of times and no improvement.

Help!

Thanks

EDIT:01min 49secs from button pressed until tray icons loaded up!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, search google for "Autoruns.exe" and download that little app, lists everything that starts during boot and allows you to google them to see what they are.

Then download a program called "TuneXP", theres tweaks in this program that can make booting up a lot quicker, aswell as shutting down :)

Associate
TuneXP is amazing I use it on all my installs.

Over 1 minute boot time from the XP screen is an awfully long time and I doubt that even TuneXP would improve it that much, especially after a fresh install.

On my system after a fresh install after the windows updates and Sp2 the xp screen flashes up for about 3 seconds then I see my desktop and that's before I used TuneXP.

Do you have any extra stuff plugged in? Printers, hard drives cd drives etc? That could be dodgey or old?

I just bought myself a new 150GB Raptor (as my 74GB was too noisey) and put a fresh install of windows on and it was perfect. When I had it up and running I put my 74GB hard drive in as a slave to get backups of my documents etc and the boot time suddenly took much longer from the XP screen. I actually thought it had frozen but it eventually loaded. When I took the drive out it was back to normal again.

What I suggest is take EVERYTHING out of your PC that isn't needed to start up and just have the absolute minimum plugged in. So try booting it up with just your boot hard drive, no cd drives, no floppys, no pci cards, webcams or printers etc.

If it improves then try and work out what the problem is from there.

Hope you get it sorted,
Scott.

Associate
yer, id make sure nothing is freezing on boot - like failing net connection, or other time consuming IO's it must wait for. Remove any devices nt needed and boot, see if time different - try without net cable plugged in etc.

Associate
OP
like i said ive only got atitray and ctfmon in boot and just run bootvis, defragged boot files and clicked a few tweaks. now does a fullboot in 1:43. still like nearly 2mins

my mates p4 3.2@ 3.8 skt.478 with 2gb (1 x 1gb, 2 x 512mb) none dual channel boots in like 35secs. and hes got more stuff in start up and using and old IDE drive

is it something to do with A64's? i get 29secs PI score fgs lol

Last edited:
Soldato
just downloaded this app, and OMG it scares me. :/

Just enable.disable, doesnt give any info about stuff or what it does?

Also, if i click randoms will anything majorly eff up my pc :) ?

f1 is a great key.

Ok just used it, getting a 27second boot (from bios splashscreen before post to xfire logged in) and an under 10 second shutdown :) Nice app.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thing is ive always had a slow bootup time since i went from my dual core to my opteron. like i said my superpi score is 29secs and my game load times are amazing.

i might just give up

Soldato
What version of XP is it. my old install of XP PRO was really quick to boot. SInce to to Media Centre Edition it takes a fair old while, worth it for all the extra capabilities it gives my 360

Back
Top Bottom