Vista and wireless connections

Associate
Ive been trying all day to get my netgear wg111v2 wireless adapter working with vista 64 but had no joy :( Vista will recognise my wireless adapter but wont accept the drivers. I have been on netgear forums and it seems that theres loads of other people in the same situation and netgear have stated they will not be releasing drivers for vista 64. Does this mean that if your wireless system dont support 64bit then you will need to buy a whole new set up?? or is it possible just to get a usb wireless adapter with a driver that works with vista and then still use my existing netgear wireless router :confused:

Are there any wireless kits out that will support vista yet???

Caporegime
If you needed to, you'd only need a new wireless adapter.

Suspect driver support will kick off when it's actually out, and anyone actually cares their hardware isn't going to work.

Associate
OP
tolien said:
If you needed to, you'd only need a new wireless adapter.

Suspect driver support will kick off when it's actually out, and anyone actually cares their hardware isn't going to work.

Oh thanks,, thats not too bad then, I actually have 2 wireless keys, I have tried running the vista upgrade advisor with both keys, The netgear key says unsupported contact manufacturer :( , but my other packard bell usb2 wireless key says it is compatable but will need a driver update and to get it from microsoft driver update?? :confused: surely thats not possible??

Can anyone confirm a wireless key thats already supported?

Soldato
turtle3 said:
my other packard bell usb2 wireless key says it is compatable but will need a driver update and to get it from microsoft driver update?? :confused: surely thats not possible??
Why not? Just means plug it in then run Windows Update and a driver will probably be found. Someone's obviously already checked one in.

Associate
OP
csmager said:
Why not? Just means plug it in then run Windows Update and a driver will probably be found. Someone's obviously already checked one in.

Thanks but im a bit :confused: here..lol.. I ran the windows update in xp and it found a driver update listed as: CyberTAN Technology, Inc. - Networking - IEEE 802.11g USB Adapter, but there is no way to download the driver as a file so i can then transfer it to windows vista :( all I can do is install it automatically from the updater? also checked the cybertan site but as the adapter is in a packard bell shelll I have no way of telling which model it is... :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Quronos said:
hmm...difficult, any stickers on chips or writing that may indicate its manufacturer

Theres a serial number a part number and a product id number on a sticker on the key, but in no way do they correspond to any of the driver downloads on cybertan's site?? ive even pulled the key apart and theres a sticker on the chip but that doesnt correspond either :confused: Tried the product id on packard bell and as i anticipated it didnt recognise it.

Soldato
The idea is you run windows update in *vista*, not in XP. Although you do have the interesting situation where you need the wireless drivers to get on the internet, and you need the internet to get the wireless drivers. Any way of cabling it or using dialup for a few mins?

Associate
OP
csmager said:
The idea is you run windows update in *vista*, not in XP. Although you do have the interesting situation where you need the wireless drivers to get on the internet, and you need the internet to get the wireless drivers. Any way of cabling it or using dialup for a few mins?

I dont have any cables now and even isf i did I also took out the dial up modem so its gonna be quite a bit of hassle to try it and then its only the 14 day beta im trying anyway, Think ill just have to wait for the ofifcial release and buy myself a vista compatable dongle when they are available next year.

**** FORGOT***** about the Lan connection on the mboard, could I run a cable from this direct to the netgear router??? would this get me connected??

Last edited:
Soldato
turtle3 said:
**** FORGOT***** about the Lan connection on the mboard, could I run a cable from this direct to the netgear router??? would this get me connected??
It would - that's what I meant by 'cables'. Dialup is the only other alternative after that.

Back
Top Bottom