How good is this monitor?

Associate
Me and my dad both need an inexpensive widescreen monitor, and so I found this.
But we don't know how good it is. Sure we found one site with reviews, but they were all really good, and we didn't know if they simply filtered out the bad ones.
So basically, would this be a really good monitor, especially for that price?

Associate
That looks a good spec for that price and its got a dvi input where as the simarily priced acer one doesnt. Havnt heard of the make but if OC are getting them in they must be alright.

Associate
Anyone know when it will be in stock? Looking for a new monitor. Is 19" a good size, I have noticed the step up from 19-20 is quite a big jump in price. So thinking maybe the price for that extra inch is not worth it.

Man of Honour
it looks very much like the Hanns-G HW191D is using Samsung's 19"WS TN Film panel (8ms, 700:1, 300 cd/m2) instead of the CMO TN Film panel more widely used in the 19"WS market at the moment. The same panel has been used elsewhere in the Samsung 940MW for instance, and is basically a WS format version of the very well established version running in some of the most popular models like the Samsung 913N, Hyundai L90D+ etc. Should be a good performer, although at the end of the day, pretty comparable to the other CMO based models like the Viewsonic VA1912W and Acer 1916W anyway. Very nice price though :)

Man of Honour
sorry mate :p

If any of it is unclear, let me know and I'll try and break it down a bit more for you :) If youre a little unsure about panel technologies, this might help explain about TN Film and the likes

Man of Honour
ah i see. Well put it this way. The Acer 1916W and Viewsonic VA1912W are both very popular round here, and receive a lot of praise. They are both well priced and some people are very keen on the WS format instead of the traditional 4:3 19" models. They use a TN Film technology panel from a company called Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), not one of the key players in panel manufacturing, but they've still done a good job here. They've made a good panel and it has been widely incorporated in the 19"WS market in these models as well as a few others.

There aren't many panel manufacturers making panels of this size (ie 19"WS) and the only other one which is in the picture, is a panel made by Samsung (more of a key player). They have already had a lot of sucess with the 19" 4:3 panel, again based on TN Film technology, which was widely used in models about a year or so ago. Some of the most popular and well established 19" models of the last year have been built around this Samsung TN Film panel, and these inlcude the Samsung 913N and Hyundai L90D+. These are both very popular, and there's plenty of info on them in the sticky if you're interested. Samsung have basically used the same panel, but altered it to be in WS format, and so have taken the winning formula from the 4:3 models, and made it available to monitor manufacturers for their screens. They used it themselves in their own Samsung 940MW, but not many other manufacturers have used it yet. This is probably because it is either more expensive to source, or maybe not quite as widely available.

Most 19"WS models so far tend to be using the CMO panel as i've said above, but the Hanns-G HW191D looks like (from the spec listed) it might be using Samsung's panel instead. This should be good based on the fact that their 4:3 version was very good :)

hope that helps a bit

Soldato
I might be interested in one of these. Has anyone used them? Any comments?

How does it handle aspect ratio scaling? Is there an option to preserve a 4x3 picture with bars down the sides rather than stretch it?

Edit: managed to find a few user reviews at another site. Generally very positive, averaging 5 stars, although a few people complained about dead pixels or their graphics cards not supporting the native resolution. I'm not sure if the rules allow me to post links to USA sites or if they're classed as competitors. If it's allowed, I'll put up a link.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, I was about to post a message before I purchased this monitor:

OcUK Value Hanns-G HW191D 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver (MO-017-OK)

But OcUK managed to ship out the new monitor before I was approved for the forum! Well done OcUK - it only took one day to ship two days for the forum approval ;)

Here is the info that I was going to post:

I too am thinking of getting one of these monitors. I don't want to spend a lot of money (on a 20") as I will only be using this monitor for 18 months or so; and with technology changing so fast I might as well only invest ~£160 now and buy bigger and better in a couple of years.

I have done some research into the Hanns-G brand and this is what I found.

Hanns-G is part of Hannstar, which supply Samsung and Dell with flat panels. So you could assume (I think) that this is a good monitor on offer.

Hanns-G Web Site: http://www.hannsg.com/eu/en/
Hanns-G press release on new monitor line: http://www.twice.com/article/CA6302911.html
Hanns-G supply Samsung and Dell: http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20060403PR201.html
Hanstar the parent company: http://www.hannstar.com/frontend_e/index_eng.jsp

So I received my new 19" widescreen yesterday. First impressions are good. It is very bright and good contrast. No dead pixels. The controls on the right hand side are a bit too small for my large fingers; and seem to be a bit weak. The plastic seems a little on the cheap side but it does appear to be fairly robust. There is no height adjustment on the monitor (which I knew before I purchased), it tilts back and it is about 10-15cm from the desk so not too bad.

The monitor did not come with a DVI cable :rolleyes: So I will have to go out and buy one so I am currently running on VGA connector!

I work on a set of dual 17" screens at 1280x1024 resolution at work so going to a 19" normal does not actually give me more screen real-estate but makes things bigger. The wide screen is definitely the way to go, 20" or bigger would be ideal but for ~£160 delivered it is great value for money.

I haven't found a setting for the 1:1 pixel mapping will look again tonight.

My graphics card is a geforce FX 5200 which runs the panel at max resolution at 75 Hz with out any issues.

If you have any other questions I will try and answer them as best I can.

Cheers. :)

Associate
I received my Hw191D today;
-cheap plastic finish, goes very well with everything else in the room
-Two dead pixels, top left, I think I can live with them
-good uniformity (no light patches on dark screen)
-colour not as good as my other monitor (viewsonic vx910)
-widescreen is a bit of a waste for web stuff, but great for TV and films
-Overall, pretty good value for money

Soldato
I hope no-one minds if i dig this up.

I'm interested in getting two of these and i'd like to hear from anyone who has bought one. So far it seems they are good but many come with dead pixels. I can easily send them back until i get two without dead pixels so it looks like a good deal for the price. Can anyone confirm that theirs has no dead pixels, i want to be sure that they aren't using cheap faulty panels or something and every monitor has dead pixels.

I need to know if it will stretch games that can't run in ws format, and if it does is there any way to prevent this?

I'm also interested in the viewing angles as they aren't as good as some of the more expensive models. Is it still possible to view it from an angle comfortably?
The viewing angles are the same as the acer so if any passing acer owners can comment that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom