Canon 17-85 IS USM :: Opinions?

Associate
Hi all,
Got a holiday coming in Cornwall, and looking forward to filling my boots with pictures of the coastline. I will be selling/trading my Sigma 18-125mm and want to move up the scale a little, so to speak.

The lenses that have grabbed my attention are the Canon 17-85 and the Sigma 17-70. The Canon has a slight edge for its USM and longer range, but people either seem to like it, or absolutely slate it. Fred Miranda's reviews site gives a very mixed impression like this.

Has anyone owned one, and care to give me their overall impression of its?

Cheers,
Matt

Associate
O.K. I have one for my 350d.... now 30d

I really llike the
  • Fast and accurate USM focusing
  • Image stabiliser
  • Size/weight/general ergonomics
  • Ideal zoom range for a crop camera
  • Good colors and contrast with this lens
  • Good picture quality above about 24mm

I really dislike the
  • Picture sharpness in the 17-24mm range is VERY poor
  • It's not the fastest of lenses at F4-5.6

For me it's a bit of a love hate relationship with this lens, As listed I find it very poor below about 24mm. I thought about selling it but decided to keep it and I hope to get a 10-22 soon. Hopefully I'll like this combination.

Kieran

Associate
im not too keen on it, will be looking to sell mine...

however, i been using 50mm and 85mm primes and loving it but i do miss the mid range zoom and its very flexible. If your money can stretch it, i have heard nothing but good reviews on the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L lens, it will deffo be my next zoom pending cash :)

Associate
for me, its good as an all rounder walk about lens because the flexibility of the zoom is there, but sharpness and colour renditions are a no no for me. Like the other guy states, the lower wide angled part isnt as sharp until u zoom in a bit more. Saying that, u need to use around F8 for the sweet spot before it starts sharpening up a bit.

Im quite liking fixed focals, u cant beat the bokeh for nice blurred backgrounds and what not for portraits

SCM

SCM

Associate
I have the lens as well and agree with the comments about the issues at the lower end of the zoom. It does pick up at the longer lengths and can be ok there.

I also am not impressed that within 6-8 months of me getting the lens fibres managed to get into the internal lens. So i ended up with marks, blotches and spots on shots at certain zooms. As soon as i can find the receipts etc i am having to get the lens repaired as paying £400ish for a lens that does this in under a year is not making me very happy.

SCM

Associate
yeah i had that as well... had a small piece of fibre drop into the outer zoom bit, luckily it didnt affect my pics, and for some reason its now gone!!

what goes through the process of getting ** lens serviced? i know it takes about 4-6 weeks... but i might as well get it done under warranty before i sell it. Only used it for a month an all!

Back
Top Bottom