best headphones

Suspended
best earphones

I use my ipod shuffle all the time and use some old sony groove earphones. There used to be like a base port thing that sort of stuck into you ear ive lost one and it was more comfy without it so i took the other one off.

Ive tried the 'better' ipod enhancement ones and thought they were crap (poor bass unless you shove them into you ears, stuck out and were generall cack)

Anyway im looking for earphones which can be worn for hours at a time so are really comfy and gives me amazing sound quality. Not that bothered about price but £200+ seems slightly too much. I think i heard about ones that were designed by the people who make hearing aids, they must be half decent?

these are what im using now
DSC00200.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
do they have the rubber things that allow them to be pluged into your brains? hehe i used to love them.

UNTIL I BOUGHT SENNHEISER.

earphones = rubbish
headphones = win.

I think mine are HD497's or 457's Which i bought for 50 squid (prob around 30 nower days). Definately one of the best buys in the last few years. They are so comfortable... and *** sound quality is amazing. I wear them up to 8 hours a day with no problems. I even wear them when theres no music and im just browsing the web.

GOGO sennheiser

Associate
i use Sony MDR-EX71SLB for my mp3 player and they are excellent. they are canal ear phones and block majority of the bacground noise. Because they go right inside your ear and create a kind of seal the bass is amazing. they come with 3 different sizes of ear plugs for the perfect fit. would definately recommend them.

Suspended
OP
thanks, ill have a look at them. does anyone own phones like E4c, Etymotic ER-4P Isolator In-Earphones or Super.Fi 5Pro Earphones?

edit- these sound good for the price Sennheiser CX300 Silver Ear Canal Headphones £30

Last edited:
Soldato
if your gonna be spending a lot...

is it worth spending £80 on earphones, for what is essentially a very poor source (unless your using em for something other than the iPod as well) ... id say some £20-£30 would be the max worth spending

Associate
muahaha :D

personally i dont see why you wanna stick to ear phones. Even the best ear phones wont compare to a decent pair of headphones. I just wish i could afford the more expensive sennheisers

Suspended
OP
Noto said:

personally i dont see why you wanna stick to ear phones. Even the best ear phones wont compare to a decent pair of headphones. I just wish i could afford the more expensive sennheisers

you ever tried jogging with huge cans on? i havent. will be using them for the gym and on the bus/train. I want very comfy ones with decent sound quality (not boomy bass and not ear pearcing treble) im tempted to get the CX300s but its whether the in ear ones annoy my ears or not

Soldato
Creative EP630 are exactly the same as Sennheiser CX300 but cheaper. The only problem with these sort of headphones is they amplify noises from your body - like your footsteps, breathing, heartbeat etc, to the point where IMO it ruins the music. I found the CX300 useless for out walking, but then I'm very picky about my headphones making odd noises that aren't part of the music. Also every time the wire brushes against your face or shirt, you can hear that amplified too. EX71s have the same problem.

Have you considered something like Koss KSC-75s? They're very comfy and sound superb (way better than CX300/EP630/EX71).

Associate
jellybeard999 said:
if your gonna be spending a lot...

is it worth spending £80 on earphones, for what is essentially a very poor source (unless your using em for something other than the iPod as well) ... id say some £20-£30 would be the max worth spending

agree, spending over £30 on headphones for ipod shuffle is not really worth it.

Suspended
OP
MichaelHo said:

even if i listen to it about 20hours a week. my reason being that i dont want my hearing to knacker up in a few years

Associate
geeza said:
even if i listen to it about 20hours a week. my reason being that i dont want my hearing to knacker up in a few years

get an extended warranty on your earphones :p
i dont think that the ipod shuffle sound quality is good enough to get a more expensive set of earphones.

Associate
MichaelHo said:
Meh. The Shuffle is considered one of the best sounding iPod around (push-pull output).. and the 5G iPod compete favorably with other DAP of it's class. People like to bash iPods, but it's like the Creative/iAudio really outclass it (yes I've tested). It's more of a 3 way tie give or take (on the Westone UM2).. and I'd say that IEMs are generally most suited for music on the go.

That said, I would highly recommend the KSC-75 for bang for buck if isolation is not an issue.

IMO, it competes favorably with IEMs over £100.. and even headphones in the £60 range.. with the exception of the more expensive but still good bang for buck Sennheiser PX100 (I prefer the Koss, but opinions are split).
They are well built too. I can't say that I baby them, but they are still going strong, and with a lifetime warranty, you have some peace of mind. The only reason you would be interested in spending three digits on Shure/Etymotics/Ultimate Ears/Westone/Sensaphonics is if you need the isolation.

Last point... Yea, headphones tend to sound better than in ear type ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Noto said:

WHat the ORPHEUS electrostats and amp at ~£5000 or possibly more.

Back
Top Bottom