My summer cooling upgrades - work log

Associate
Due to finally having some free time this summer, I can get down to some upgrades to my case/cooling that I've been planning for some time. So, I thought I'd share my progress with you all in case you'd like to see. :)

First a picture of my how my set up has been looking for some time now.

setup1.gif

As I see it there are two main problems with what is here. Firstly, as you can probably see, the case for my Mach II GT does not match my case in either colour or size. Second of all, the 120.1 BIX rad in the front of the case needs to have the fans running like a jet engine to get decent temps and even then the results are mediocre. In addition, the single rad gives little room for aditional componants in the loop in the future.

To remedy these problems, I'm going to be putting a 120.2 PA rad in the top of the case and get a custom three panel shroud for my the Mach so that it sits flush with the front of the case. Also, I thought while I'm at it I may as well go ahead with some long planned upgrades to the Mach.

So, the esential goals of this project break down into:

1. Mount the 120.2 PA radiator in the top of the case
2. Construct and paint custom case panels for the Mach II GT.
3. Have mods done to the Mach (chilly1 evap, desuperheater, regas)

Anyway, the first stage of this I pretty much completed today. From hereon the pictures are quite large so I'll link them instead.

Here are the holes cut in the case ready for the rad to go in. Picutre here

Unforuntely the holesaw slipped slightly on the second hole so there is a bit of a scratch, but I think it can be touched up quite easily. Picture here

In any case, I thought I'd do a test mount of the radiator. Picture herehttp://members.aol.com/jonpaletta/hardware/casemodsmall1.jpg

It all went in well apart from the fact that the screw hole on the top left was just a little out, and only exposed 3/4ths of the fan hole, but I can widen it a little later. Picture here

Apart from that, the rad fits in the case fine, despite my fears that the PSU wouldn't be able to fit in as well. Picture here

That's all for now, but updates will follow soon. The panels for the Mach II are due back soon from the metal shop after being welded, and a week today I'll be delivering the Mach to Gray Mole to perform the mods.

Stay tuned. :)

Associate
OP
IzaLearnin said:
How about a pair of chrome fan grills to cover the marks in the paint and prevent your puter from turning into a waste disposal unit!

Grills are on their way. ;)

Zefan said:
Are those fans at the top pushing air downwards? They should really bew the other way around.

I was used to have the fans pushing or pull inwards so that the coolest air is coming over the rad, rather than outwards using the hotter air from the case. I'm open to suggestions though if someone has gotten good results with different fan configs. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Kesnel said:
I was used to have the fans pushing or pull inwards so that the coolest air is coming over the rad, rather than outwards using the hotter air from the case. I'm open to suggestions though if someone has gotten good results with different fan configs. :)
Not sure how the performance varies tbh but pulling air inwards, if you aren't going to have a filter, you're going to get some dusty rads pretty quickly. Now that will damage the temps.

Associate
OP
weescott said:
Are you going to add another fan to the front of the Mach?

I might add a low rpm fan at the front just to keep air circulating. I'll just wait an see how well air comes in through the bottom of the new enclosure first, as there's going to be large gap there.

Man of Honour
The reason I say about the fans pushing up is that if they pull in downwards past the rad, it will heat up adn just pool at the top of the case. IMO holes at the top of the case should always be exhaust to stop the existing hot spot that all cases have anyway... your choice. The temperature of the air in your case shouldn't be very much over ambient anyway.

Associate
OP
Got a couple of small updates, I've been busy lately so progress is slow but it's getting there. :)

Yesterday I dropped the Mach off with Gray Mole and he said he'd probably have the mods done within a week. Unfortunately however, I'm still waiting on the welding to be done to the enclosure at my local metal shop. I'm hoping it'll be done soon so I can get on with painting it.

Anyway, today I finished the radiator install. I cleaned up the blowholes with some beeding and made the screw holes slightly bigger so that I could get all the screws in the fans.

Picture here

Another picture here

Then I put the radiator back in with the new fan grills.

Picture here

Another picture here

That means the rad installation is all finished now, I'll post more updates as they come. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Mate looking good,

How do you plan to match the Mach with the case. You have done a sweet job with the rad mount mate.

I also would consider the fans blowing out of the case than in with the rad. Altho ive seen many use both methods.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With the new enclosure the two side panels will be longer so that they come up to the front of the case then the front panel will be connected directly to the side panels rather than the case itself. I looked at a few options but that was the best I could see. :)

Don
It all went in well apart from the fact that the screw hole on the top left was just a little out, and only exposed 3/4ths of the fan hole, but I can widen it a little later. Picture here

I was just wondering what thos fans are held with? are they just screws??

Stelly

Associate
OP
Yep, rubber beeding. Another etailer is selling it as "Blow Hole Rubber" for 60p a meter. :)

Stelly said:
I was just wondering what thos fans are held with? are they just screws??

Stelly

Yep, just self tapping screws into the fans. :)

Associate
OP
Biggest update so far, at least for me anyway as this is the bit I've most been looking forward too. ;)

Yesterday I picked up my Mach II GT after its mods. :D

Picture here

The original plan was to add a chilly1 evap, desuperheater and gas it up with a blend of 134a, 404a and 402a which would allow me to run the fans quieter on the standard mach compressor whilst also giving an improvement in temps.

However, that plan changed slightly and instead Gray fitted a new condenser, which is much better than the standard one. This meant I could have it gassed with pure r402a but still allow for quiet fan operation and good performance. This condenser also means that the compressor will be running cooler; prolonging its life. I also had an inch put on the flex line to allow for easier benching and different motherboard configurations and the cap tube has been rerouted for better subcooling.

So the final specs are:
NL11F compressor (standard on the GT)
Placebo's condenser
Chilly1 evap
r402 gas

Anyway, enough talking, time for some pictures of the new stuff.

New condenser: Picture

Desuperheater and condenser: Picture

Evap: Picture

Yes, that does say -81c on the LCD. ;) :D

Picture here
Picture here

Now if only I had a system to test it on, but that will hopefully come soon. I'm absolute chuffed to bits with these mods, many thanks go to Gray Mole for taking care of them for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom