• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Laptop CPU pointers please

Associate
I'm looking for a lappie to do general stuff (no powergaming etc)

Can someone give me a rundown of the available CPU's and how they compare as I'm having trouble finding a good site for comparrissons.
I'd like it to be fairly quiet and it will not go out very often.

Thankyou in advance.

Associate
coreduo is the main cpu atm. faster your chip the more faster your laptop i guess.
theres a new intel conroe chip coming out for the laptop too. depend if you want to wait or not.

Caporegime
MichaelHo said:
coreduo is the main cpu atm. faster your chip the more faster your laptop i guess.
theres a new intel conroe chip coming out for the laptop too. depend if you want to wait or not.

Merom is the new laptop chip, whilst Conroe is the desktop version (but will be used in some laptops because its cheaper then Merom.)

Associate
OP
I'm hoping to buy something S/H if possible thats why I'd like to compare CPU's to see what would give the best price / performance ratio.

Only looking to spend upto £500 really, I'm not looking at newer CPU's at all.

How do the intel and AMD mobile chips compare for instance.

Caporegime
speedyj said:
I'm hoping to buy something S/H if possible thats why I'd like to compare CPU's to see what would give the best price / performance ratio.

The Turion chips are pretty good, the Athlon 32bit chips weren't amazing, you'd be better off with a Pentium-M based system. Avoid P4-M and Celerons like the plague though.

Associate
speedyj said:

if you can push abit more you can get a new macbook for £663

Back
Top Bottom