F@H interfering with media extender

Soldato
I've got a problem in that whilst I'm folding, my x360 won't connect to media centre. It kicks out an error I can't remember, but something along the lines of it can't connect because windows is getting battered :D

If I kill the service it connects fine. Any way around this? Cheers

Soldato
I read somewhere around here that someone wrote a script to stop the service. Said he ran the script, did whatever it was he needed to do with no F@H, then ran another script to start it up again.

Could be a good method for ya... but it might become tiresome if youre on and off your eggBox all day. So the only decent solution is to get rid of that piece of junk and fold more! :D

SiriusB

Soldato
go to Run -> services.msc

find the Folding at home service(s) and select "Pause", then when you've finished with the 360 you can resume with no risk of losing any progress :)

edit: you can probably find instruction for setting up scripts in the sticky and just adapt them for your needs :)

Soldato
OP
rich99million said:

find the Folding at home service(s) and select "Pause", then when you've finished with the 360 you can resume with no risk of losing any progress :)

edit: you can probably find instruction for setting up scripts in the sticky and just adapt them for your needs :)

Cheers, the pausing was what I was doing.

I've found that if I tell it to continue anyway the streaming works fine, because obviously F@H gives up the cpu time. The problem I have now is that when I've finished streaming the service that does the transcoding doesn't stop hogging the usage, but that's obviously not a f@h problem.

Soldato
Create batch files for starting and stopping the client/clients. That's what I have. Is there a guide in the F@H sticky? If not I'll do one if you want.

// EDIT // There is indeed. See here.

Man of Honour
Soldato
rich99million said:

find the Folding at home service(s) and select "Pause", then when you've finished with the 360 you can resume with no risk of losing any progress :))
Be careful using "Pause" instead of "Stop." When it's paused it stops in the middle of what it's doing. If you were to have it paused then you rebooted it would behave just as it would have if you did not shut down properly. That intorduces the risk of corrupting the WU.

Personally, I'd use Stop if I was going to have it off for much longer than a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom