Got all this to fit :)

• Sump Gasket
  • Both cam cover gaskets
  • Inlet Manifold (top half) Gasket
  • Exhaust Manifold Gasket
  • Oil filter and Castrol GTX oil
  • Magnecor 8mm (blue) HT Leads :D
  • NGK Iridum Spark Plugs

While the cam covers and inlet manifold (top half) are off the car, I'll be using a sander to grind the raised parts back to the metal. I'll then use various grades of sandpaper to finish it off.

Should look pretty smart... black/silver with blue leads. The whole engine bay will also be treated to a thorough clean too.

Looking forward to getting the new exhaust fitted. I've put up with the standard system blowing like crazy for the past month.

Plenty of pics/vids and sound clips to come....

Soldato
OP
ROFL, classic replies guys! Made me laugh, so no hard feelings :p

Especially you Andy... you never know what an old Rover is capable of ;)

Zip... :p

Zip

Zip

Soldato
agw_01 said:
ROFL, classic replies guys! Made me laugh, so no hard feelings :p

Especially you Andy... you never know what an old Rover is capable of ;)

Zip... :p

Glad you took it well :D

Are you going to remove the rust from the Exhaust? :)

Soldato
OP
Might give it a bit of a rub down before I fit it.

Not too fussed. It's only the de-cat that's really rusty. The rest of it looks rusty in the photo, but it's just discoloured.

I've been told it's stainless steel, so we'll see. Probably not that high a grade, so I might go down to Longlife (a stainless steel exhaust manufacturer) later this year to get a custom centre pipe fitted.

Really looking forward to driving the car with the de-cat fitted though. It feels so bogged down at the moment with the current exhaust. Has a hole, at least an inch long in one of the pipes :(

Zip

Zip

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Might give it a bit of a rub down before I fit it.

Not too fussed. It's only the de-cat that's really rusty. The rest of it looks rusty in the photo, but it's just discoloured.

I've been told it's stainless steel, so we'll see. Probably not that high a grade, so I might go down to Longlife (a stainless steel exhaust manufacturer) later this year to get a custom centre pipe fitted.

Really looking forward to driving the car with the de-cat fitted though. It feels so bogged down at the moment with the current exhaust. Has a hole, at least an inch long in one of the pipes :(

Sound from the Holes= :D

Mums got a few holes in her exhaust and the noise it makes sounds like a super car :p

Soldato
OP
Mine, at idle/low revs is embarrasing. I can't drive past hotties at 2000rpm because the car sounds so crap.

3000rpm sounds a little better (especially if I hold it at those revs) and has a nice tone.

After 4000rpm though... oh my... EVERYBODY in a 1 mile radius turns to look at my car! It's raspy as hell, and so loud... but boy does it put a smile on my face :cool:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Mine, at idle/low revs is embarrasing. I can't drive past hotties at 2000rpm because the car sounds so crap.

3000rpm sounds a little better (especially if I hold it at those revs) and has a nice tone.

After 4000rpm though... oh my... EVERYBODY in a 1 mile radius turns to look at my car! It's raspy as hell, and so loud... but boy does it put a smile on my face :cool:

Sounds like mine, But imagin it with the noise of a boxer :D :cool:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Oh yeah, your mum has a Scooby Legacy or something hasn't she?

Lucky guy :(

Subaru L series :)

For an Old car it just wont break, no matter how much i get it airborne or red line it in every gear.
The only time i almost killed it was when i drive through a ford the other day and the engine got covered in water.
Gave it a few minutes after that and it was fine again until i ran out of petrol on the way to pick mum up :p

Associate
Zip said:
Nope, It makes a 90Bhp or less boxer engine sound like a beast :D

Pus a smile on my face every time i put my foot to the floor :p

I'm talking about Mikes old mk1 MR2 ;)
IIRC the comment made by the operator at the RR (from 2005 RR meet) was, typed on the printout, 'Needs a bloody exhaust!' :D

Soldato
Good to see another person doing some self servicing.

Decided to do myself an oil change tomorrow, paid £18 for 5l of GTX and £10 for oil filter + sump plug, total cost = £28 and 30 mins of my time

Nissan wanted £75 for oil change, local independant place wanted £35. I suppose the extra £7 could have swayed me, but I just feel like getting covered in hot motor oil somedays ;) :p

Soldato
OP
I've always had an interest in cars and love getting under the bonnet on mine. Ever since I was charged £175 for a disc and pad change :rolleyes: on my first car, I thought I'd better get my act together and start learning.

It's not only the fact that I save money, it's that I'm also learning all of the time. For example, tomorrow, I'll be dropping the whole exhaust system along with the sump... that's some pretty major work which would probably fetch up quite a nice bill in a garage.

This will be the biggest job I've done on a car so far (apart from a radiator/coolant change) so I'm really looking forward to it.

In the future I'm going to be changing my suspension bushes, fitting a larger brake setup and hopefully in the future, swapping the engine for a turbo jobbie :)

Soldato
I enjoy it too, though I am learning the Haynes manual makes out everything to be a hell of a lot easier than it actually is!

Only problem I have is I live on a hill, with no driveway.

So I just drive to bottom of hill, find a flat bit of road, park up and do my stuff there :D

Soldato
OP
I find the Haynes a real help. I don't take it word for word (as there are shortcuts you can normally use) but it's pretty helpful to get a rough idea of the tasks involved.

When I lived at my Dads', I had to do any work on a fairly busy road with cars parked either side. This made it very annoying to replace brake pads for example. Having to stop every 5 minutes to let a car past.

Where I live now, it's a nice quiet estate, with a car every 10 minutes... if that. The house has a driveway, but my mum won't let me work on the car on it... not even to do something as simple as a brake pad change!

I feel quite smug in seeing the brand new driveway covered in oil spots from my leaky sump gasket :D Ah well, just one of the quirks of owning a Rover I guess!

Soldato
I can't drive past hotties at idle because the car tends to set fire to their clothes due to the terrible overfuelling issue, nice flame lads! Great for accidentally taking off pedestrian's legs at the ankle :D

Looks like you got a busy day mind, hope it goes well :)

Back
Top Bottom