LED Lights - Quick Question.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes. I am wanting to get some 5mm led lights to do a mod, but how are these powered? Is it 2 wires that u attach to something, what do i connect them to the mobo or the psu?

Thanks

Associate
He was talking about LED lights, not LEDs.
LED lights as in the ones you power off of USB if external or off the PSU via a step down box(12 to whatever)if internal.
LED light being those striplights you can put inside or outside your case....
as in Antec ones....

Soldato
musicman53 said:
He was talking about LED lights, not LEDs.
LED lights as in the ones you power off of USB if external or off the PSU via a step down box(12 to whatever)if internal.
LED light being those striplights you can put inside or outside your case....
as in Antec ones....

Yes and what he said was for LED lights, not the strips, please take to understand what your reading next time

Associate
KnightStalker said:
Yes and what he said was for LED lights, not the strips, please take to understand what your reading next time
EXCUSE ME
LED lights are NOT LEDs
LEDs are small round, square or whatever shape and have two wires and are powered from whatever power source via a resistor.
There are 3 and four wire LEDs also.
LED lights are a different thing...
AND for you information I DO UNDERSTAND what I read.
AND what I said goes
as LED lights can be the strips
OR not
AND are and can be powered via USB(or a psu) if EXTERNAL
and via ANY form of power reduction circuit if INTERNAL.
HE said LED lights as in 5mm and that is all.
I was saying WHAT LED lights are.
Have you ever seen 5mm LED LIGHTS?

Soldato
Wow, calm it down musicman53 we don't want to get this closed as it wont help the OP.

LED lights can be bought individually but have their own casing if I am thinking of the right kit, they are brighter than LED's and are more like bulbs in their output?

Soldato
We could do with the OP clarifying what he's after. But im guessing he means individual LED's which could be powered off a modified molex lead with a resisitor depending one the amount of lights you have and the power of those lights. Have a look for the 'illuminated cd drawer' thread, as the use of LED's is expained quite well in there.

Edit; This thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17579429&highlight=illuminated

Associate
Some people call LEDs LED lights.
I was into electronics way back and was always messin around with LEDs, sound to light and all that...
so to me LEDs are the ones I said about(5mm)that can be tri color, bi color or single color and use a resistor to drop voltage...but there are ones with built in resistors...
LED lights can be the strips, single, double....it's how they are listed or called or described by whoever...
Anyway,
I gave up on faffin around with those long time ago.

Soldato
what do i connect them to the mobo or the psu?
How would you connect an led to the mobo?, if you mean the power led on the front of the case, yes this can be replaced quite easilly. I changed the 5mm led on my Lian Li case to blue and took about 5 mins. If its for something else you can quite easily use the psu to power them.

Mark

Soldato
Mark A said:
How would you connect an led to the mobo?, if you mean the power led on the front of the case, yes this can be replaced quite easilly. I changed the 5mm led on my Lian Li case to blue and took about 5 mins. If its for something else you can quite easily use the psu to power them.

Mark

You could in theory just use any spare fan headers on the mobo.

Soldato
OP
Hi,

Sorry for not being more descriptive and I didn't want to start an argument, and I really don't want this thread locked!! I am new to all this modding and just wondered how to power these as the website I found them on didn't have any info on wether they had a power connector or just had wires etc.

Basically the light is described as this on the website:

5mm Blue LED (1000mcd, 3.3v)

Image:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/787/5mmled4xt.jpg

I have looked through Yewens brilliant sticky for modding and seen the part about LEDs and connecting them to a 4060 cmos chip. Are these chips easy to get hold of or should I just wire up a molex. If I wire up a molex I assume I need a resistor as the LED will get fried without it. If you point me to a website that talks about what resistors I will need then that would be helpful. Will be needing 2-4 of these 5mm lights not sure on the exact number yet. And i might not even need them but am still interested in how to hook them up.

Hope that gives more info and please excuse the noob questions.

Associate
From this description (5mm Blue LED 1000mcd, 3.3v) it looks just like a normal LED. The picture could be just anything :)
The PSU gives 12V from a molex connector. If you put few LEDs in a series which total forward voltage is 12V then you will not need a resistor. If it's over 12V you still will not need resistor but the brightness will go down. Here is a link to a website where you can calculate what resistor you will need http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

Soldato
Day03 said:
From this description (5mm Blue LED 1000mcd, 3.3v) it looks just like a normal LED. The picture could be just anything :)
The PSU gives 12V from a molex connector. If you put few LEDs in a series which total forward voltage is 12V then you will not need a resistor. If it's over 12V you still will not need resistor but the brightness will go down. Here is a link to a website where you can calculate what resistor you will need http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=zz.led.resistor.calculator

7 and 5 volt can also be pulled from a normal molex connector, so that opens up a few options as well.

Soldato
Lets end the arguing folks, this was all cleared up a few posts up. Good point messiah khan, there is a guide on how to do this in the sticky i believe. AFK_Matrix what is the mod you are thinking of doing?, if you dont mind me asking.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom