how can they get away with the word.. unlimited?

Associate
I imagine that this has been done to death, but since I took up my last contract over 12months ago I have began looking at the various offers by ISPs. I notice just about all now have two tiers regarding bandwidth... capped and 'unlimited'

I remember the whole whohar a while back, but it never really bothered me as I wasn't using the internet as much back then.

How on earth can they justify using the work 'unlimited' when the services are clearly anything but? Do they get around it by giving you ‘unlimited’ bandwidth but reserve the right to cancel your contract should to repeatedly use over their stated limit in the T&Cs?

Soldato
They are breaking the law, and have been for ages. The problem is that the regulator is a complete toothless waste of space. The only regulator that is toying with the idea of having a go at them is the Advertizing Standards Authority, and they will win. But you can bet your bottom Dollar, at the courtroom door the ISP's will back down. In the meantime of course "joe public" will have been hoodwinked all the way to his wallet.

Soldato
No idea how they get away with it, Eclipse offer "Unlimited" broadband packages which just so happen to have traffic shaping and peak time usage limits so they're anything but unlimited with regards to how much you can use it or the speed you can use it at :confused:

Caporegime
kitfit1 said:
The only regulator that is toying with the idea of having a go at them is the Advertizing Standards Authority, and they will win.

The ASA don't care about what an ISP claims on their own website. It's already been tried, and the ASA didn't want to know.

Soldato
player said:
So are can you only connect to capped packages for a certain length of time throughout the month? :/

No, you stay connected but can only use a certain amount of data, most capped packages reduce the speed after you pass the data cap.

Back
Top Bottom